Wyandotte, 8 mo old, extremely Lethargic

Lori J

Songster
5 Years
Jun 18, 2017
My Wyandotte is extremely lethargic. I had two, And the other one started acting the same way a 1 1/2 weeks ago. I was going to be out of town for Christmas so I took her to a local lady who is good with sick chickens (I was hoping she was a miracle worker!), but she died the next day . She wasn’t sure what was wrong. But anyway, now the other wyandotte is sick, same symptoms. Lethargy, droopy wings, losing interest in eating. They free range in the backyard. I live in Central Mississippi so it is not super cold. I have 4 other hens, but none of them have fallen ill.
The only medicine I have given her so far is corid. My friend next-door has a silkie that was exhibiting the same symptoms and the vet had given her corid. The hen did not get better, so she took him back to the vet and they gave her probiotics, a steroid and B12 shot, as well as antibiotics. Also, she began tube feeding. Unfortunately, the silkie passed a week later.
No one seems to know what this could be. The vet had no opinion. He said it could be so many different things, but could do a necropsy. I’m hesitant to go to the vet due to the cost and also due to the fact that did not help my neighbor’s hen.
Any suggestions on treatment, or what you think it could be? Of course we have googled the different diseases and treatments but it’s hard to narrow things down.

Attachments

• 7A88977B-4186-4879-A435-D5AB60BCB789.jpeg
    7A88977B-4186-4879-A435-D5AB60BCB789.jpeg
    514.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 0CE120E8-D4CF-489C-9E42-7DCE49687BEB.jpeg
    0CE120E8-D4CF-489C-9E42-7DCE49687BEB.jpeg
    475.3 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
What dosage of Corid are you giving? I would give 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If she is not drinking well, give some undiluted Corid 1/2 ml orally twice a day. Wet some feed with Corid water as well. Have you wormed your chickens? Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good to use on chickens. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy?
Has she been laying eggs that were normal with hard shells? What do you feed them? Have you seen any mold or a bad odor in the feed, or could it have gotten wet? Is your pullet’s tail up or down today?

What dosage of Corid are you giving? I would give 2 tsp of the liquid or 1.5 tsp of the powder per gallon of water for 5-7 days. If she is not drinking well, give some undiluted Corid 1/2 ml orally twice a day. Wet some feed with Corid water as well. Have you wormed your chickens? Valbazen or SafeGuard Liquid Goat Wormer are very good to use on chickens. How does her crop feel—empty and flat, full, hard, doughy, or puffy?
Has she been laying eggs that were normal with hard shells? What do you feed them? Have you seen any mold or a bad odor in the feed, or could it have gotten wet? Is your pullet’s tail up or down today?
The picture I took of her was from today. Seems like her tail is normal. She seem normal weight a couple days ago but now seems lighter. Her crop does not feel full. Yesterday she was eating but today she is showing less interest in food. I gave her 1 mL of corid. The solution was half a teaspoon corid for 2 teaspoons of water. She has had three doses so far in 24 hours. Instruction said one to three per day, and gave a weight of 1 pound per .34 ml. There’s actually no indication that corid would help her (she is not having bloody poop and her poops really are not that runny), I just went that route because that’s one of the first things that my next-door neighbors vet recommended. In any case it did not prevent her hen from dying, that and the other measures he recommended. I’m hoping someone here might have some idea which direction to go? Based on experiences.

I doubt it is the feed because it seems like a progression of one hen to another, Like a contagious disease. However the other hens seem fine. I am feeding them flock raiser and Layer pellets, as well as treats occasionally.One of those Wyandottes was probably laying at the beginning of December. The shells seemed normal. I have not wormed my chickens, since they did not show any signs.

Please use the dosage of Corid I posted above in post 2 in her water. That is the severe outbreak dose. Corid is supposed to be given in their water for 5-7 days. That way, they get enough for their weight if they drink enough. The oral dosage is just for an extra boost if they are not drinking well. Corid is safe for the other chickens to drink, as it is not an antibiotic. Coccidiosis may only cause blood in droppings in a couple of the 7 or more strains of coccidia organism.

Usually, with a lethargic or weak chicken, we tend to treat for any possible causes, such as worms, coccidiosis, and look for signs of crop or reproductive disorders. At her age, she should have become tolerant to the coccidia in her environment, but some chickens can still get it if they are having problems with immunity or are weakened. They can have worms without seeing any in the droppings, especially in warm humid climates. Drooping wings can be a sign that she is dehydrated. If you should lose another chicken, your state poultry vet usually can do a necropsy to look for a cause of death. Keep any body cold, but do not freeze. Here is a list of all state vets:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/PoultryLabs.cfm

1609283698332.jpeg

Please use the dosage of Corid I posted above in post 2 in her water. That is the severe outbreak dose. Corid is supposed to be given in their water for 5-7 days. That way, they get enough for their weight if they drink enough. The oral dosage is just for an extra boost if they are not drinking well. Corid is safe for the other chickens to drink, as it is not an antibiotic. Coccidiosis may only cause blood in droppings in a couple of the 7 or more strains of coccidia organism.

Usually, with a lethargic or weak chicken, we tend to treat for any possible causes, such as worms, coccidiosis, and look for signs of crop or reproductive disorders. At her age, she should have become tolerant to the coccidia in her environment, but some chickens can still get it if they are having problems with immunity or are weakened. They can have worms without seeing any in the droppings, especially in warm humid climates. Drooping wings can be a sign that she is dehydrated. If you should lose another chicken, your state poultry vet usually can do a necropsy to look for a cause of death. Keep any body cold, but do not freeze. Here is a list of all state vets:

View attachment 2467826
Thank you!

She was

View attachment 2467826
thank you for all your help. Unfortunately I went to check on her just now and she had passed. It was very fast. This summer I found a hen that seemed paralyzed on the perch. I used a dropper to give her a feed and water for a couple days and she recovered. My goodness, it was a lot of work but she made it and she is very healthy now.... I was kind of surprised that this one died so quickly because she was moving around today quite a bit. I’m very sad and I wish that I knew what happened.

I’m no expert
Actually I Know little to nothing
But based on the dropping I’d say treat your chicken for coccidiosis
My experience with coccidiosis is that their poo with start getting watery and white in colour, later the colour will change to green and finally you will start seeing blood and that is when it’s really bad

Back
Top Bottom