Wyandotte bantam confusion

mistyhollow

Chirping
6 Years
Nov 12, 2013
Paw Paw, Mi
New bantam chicken owner and BYC member. Started out with 5 and am currently the proud owner of 18 in a matter of two months. The majority are silkies but I also purchased a trio of brown red OEG, a trio of cornish bantams and a pair of partridge wyandotte bantams. Each set is separated from the other breeds. My problem is that the partridge wyandotte hen went missing and now the rooster is lonely. I am having a hard time finding a replacement for him in my area.
Any suggestions? Will any other wyandotte hen work until I find another partridge? I honestly don't want to mix breeds but I wasn't sure about colors?

Last edited:
I am not sure what you mean by "lonely," but with 17 other birds around, it is not like he is the only one. Chickens do not need to run with their "own kind" to be "happy" (whatever that means to a chicken).

If your intent is to keep from cross-breeding, then either put him with other males that he can get along with (a lot of room helps), or keep him isolated but within visual range of the others. We keep many of our males isolated during most of the year except during mating "sessions." No ill effects.

We find that our Bantam Wyandottes often are at the top of the pecking order, due to their larger size and more "stately" demeanor, but your results may vary (the Cornish may take issue with them :)

Hi and welcome to BYC from northern Michigan
big_smile.png

Unless you are planning on saving hatching eggs in the next few weeks, you can mix your birds together. When you are ready to start hatching, separate the individual breed/s out for 2-3 weeks before you start keeping eggs.

Thank you for the welcome.

Most of my silkies are 2-6 months old and he picked on them yet the cornish would terrorize him even worse so felt it was in his best interest to separate him from the rest. The trio of OEG birds tolerate him so he is rooming with them at the moment. I would love to find some replacement pullets but was wondering if they had to be partridge ones?

I do plan on breeding so guess I will have to start looking for some partridge Wyandottes around Paw Paw, Michigan.
My Dad lives in Traverse City so willing to stop along the way if anyone has any for sale.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom