Wyandotte breeders!

That's what she told me too and I only had 2 blue's hatch.The young cockeral got smothered on the bottom of a pile on a cool night but the pullet is now 9 months old and laying well.I got lucky and found 3 blue wyandotte chicks at TSC this Christmas and they are now about 12 weeks old.

Quote:
The original ones I hatched last spring were varying shades of blue except for one splash pullet. The blacks I hatched are one roo and 1 pullet. So far the eggs I've hatched from them this spring have been more splashs than anything. I'm going to pen the black roo with the splashes when they're all old enough. Are the ones you found at TSC pretty nice?

Last edited:
Yeah not bad for hatchery one's.Very friendly and pretty good lacing.One is so light she's almost Lavender but she's definately not a splash.I just put them in their coop and they are still adjusting but I'm gonna try and get some pictures this weekend.

Last edited:
Quote:
I'll look forward to seeing their pictures.
smile.png

Katy or Mrs. Turbo -

Do either of you get any Black Lace Red Wyandottes from your BLRW pens?

I have all Splash Hens and a nice Blue roo, and am thinking it would be a good idea to introduce a blackLRW to strengthen the color lines?

Or doesn't that help?

I bow to your superior knowledge!

Katie

I am not the breeding guru (DH is) but here is what Mr. Turbo has told me. We do hatch blacks out now and then. We usually keep a really nice roo around to breed back into the BLRWs because as time goes on the deep blue color will fade and the black rooster helps darken that up. I know most people don't like the black version because they look like gold laced wyandottes so we only breed them back in when we hatch eggs for our self. We hatch for our self when it is too hot to ship anything.

I'm not a genetics guru either! Far from it in fact! I do have a couple of black laced hens and a very young roo I'm still trying to decide if he's super dark blue or black.

Is that dirt on her wing or a dark spot? She might just be a very un-splashy splash, I have a couple of those. I know genetically they're splashes as they only produce blue chicks when mated with a black rooster.

Back
Top Bottom