Wyandotte color breeding

dracoe19

Songster
8 Years
May 31, 2011
Warrenton, Virgina
At the moment I am focusing on breeding silver laced wyandottes and I have a good flock established. I have golden laced wyandottes as well but I haven't stumbled across any birds I can add to that flock. I was thinking of adding blue laced red wyandottes to that flock to have a mixture of black and blue but I'm not sure if the genes interact the same way as, for example, orpingtons. Would I be getting black, blues and splashes or does crossing them possibly cause different interaction with the lacing (double lacing)? I remember reading that Foley introduces a black hen/ rooster every 3 generations into his blue laced reds to darken the color but I want to confirm that my hunch is right that I will end up with the blue, black, splash with normal lacing if I breed these pairings.

yes the BLR are the same blue/black/splash... i would not mix golden laced and BLR the golden laced are supposed to be golden colored and the BLR are supposed to be red... if u cross them u will get a lot lighter orangish color instead of the nice deep red... this is y Murry McMurry's BLR are so much lighter...
At the moment I am focusing on breeding silver laced wyandottes and I have a good flock established. I have golden laced wyandottes as well but I haven't stumbled across any birds I can add to that flock. I was thinking of adding blue laced red wyandottes to that flock to have a mixture of black and blue but I'm not sure if the genes interact the same way as, for example, orpingtons. Would I be getting black, blues and splashes or does crossing them possibly cause different interaction with the lacing (double lacing)? I remember reading that Foley introduces a black hen/ rooster every 3 generations into his blue laced reds to darken the color but I want to confirm that my hunch is right that I will end up with the blue, black, splash with normal lacing if I breed these pairings.

You can add a black blr if it has good type. You're adding the mahogany gene to the gold. The gold color shouldn't deepen too much. The black blr doesn't carry a blue gene.

Back
Top Bottom