Wyandotte color question

Quote:
When Black it bred to either Silver Laced or Gold Laced the offspring should be Black.

Chris

Quote:
Yes Roos can be split for and carrying both sexlinked silver and gold, but hens cant, they are either silver or gold, no inbetween. Did you get my responce to your email ?

And when breeding Blacks to Silver or Golden laced if that is your question, the offspring should be mostly solid black, but may have silver or golden leakage depending on wheather or not your black was silver or gold, or split for both if it is the roo, and the color and sex of the laced variety. But in solid blacks, you cant know if they are Silver or Gold unless you know their breeding.

Rare Roo No I didn't receive your email. Feel free to email me at jlbaugh77 at yahoo DOT com

That helps I was hoping to expand my color options in my imaginary flock. Its my imaginary flock because I don't have things finalized as you can obviously see so I'm just playing with ideas. This is just a hobby for me, no real competition birds beyond 4H for the kids in my family who want to show some chickens. However I am looking for some variety in the flock thats why all the color questions. I like SL and GL and black so I'm trying to figure out how to reliably produce all 3 colors reliably with balance reflected in the chicks.

One other question if I breed a Gold Roo to a Silver Hen Ill get all silvers and the cockrels will all be sex linked for Gold right? Will that affect their pattern or color in any of the chicks?

My long term goal would be to keep both SLW and GLW hens with a GLW Roo and produce both colors in the flock without sacrificing any pattern or color (tinted silvers or washed out golds, or poor patterns on either color) on any future chicks produced. I want to do this with 1 Roo, I don't have the space to keep a roo of both colors just give me SL and GL chicks. I can give on some leakage on occasional black chicks. If thats the worst that happens I consider that successful.

And when breeding Blacks to Silver or Golden laced if that is your question, the offspring should be mostly solid black, but may have silver or golden leakage depending on whether or not your black was silver or gold

So if I reverse that and want to produce both black if I take a laced Roo and black hens Ill get black chicks with some leakage (the color of the Roo) at times. Right? Thats how I read your post Rare Roo. I can deal with leakage if I can still get some black chicks.

Thank you for your fast replies on this I'm starting to get my head around this
tongue.png

Quote:
So if I reverse that and want to produce both black if I take a laced Roo and black hens Ill get black chicks with some leakage (the color of the Roo) at times. Right? Thats how I read your post Rare Roo. I can deal with leakage if I can still get some black chicks.

Thank you for your fast replies on this I'm starting to get my head around this
tongue.png

The email I was talking about was the one when you emailed me asking about the Buff and Light Sussex Genetics and basicly the same thing that you wanted to keep both colors in a flock and still produce the same colors. I will copy what I said in the email and PM it to you if you say the email didnt go through. That might help answer your questions about the gold and silver. And for this question, substitute Light Sussex in the email with Silver Laced Wyandottes, and sub the Buff Sussex for Golden laced Wyandottes and it will work the exact same way as I layed out in the email.

But using just a Golden laced roo on Golden and Silver laced hens, isnt going to give you any Silver laced pullets as F1s, You will get all Golden Laced pullets, all Golden laced roos from the GL hens and all Split for Gold and Silver Gene roos from the Silver hens ( they would look like yellow tinted Silver laced.

But its getting late and my mind is starting to shut down so let me PM you the Silver/Gold info and if you still have questions, post them and I will get to them tomorrow when I can think clearly.

Back
Top Bottom