Wyandotte comb has a horn?

heather134

Chirping
Jan 9, 2021
Indiana
Weird thing we just noticed today that wasn't apparent in the last couple of days, our Golden laced Wyandotte who is 6 months old seems to have grown a horn. It's torn and a little bloody at the base. Anything we need to worry about? Otherwise seems healthy, in fact she just started laying a few days ago. Since she's currently our only layer I would actually call the vet to save her if it came down to it LOL

Attachments

• PXL_20210720_203140582.jpg
    PXL_20210720_203140582.jpg
    418.9 KB · Views: 52
Looks like she has some peck marks, so the one thing that might be concerning is that the other chickens have noticed it and are pecking at it. It's a different color, so maybe she caught it on something. I'd put some vetrycin on it. Since it is so close to the eyes, I would wet a qtip or paper towel with it to apply it.

Thanks for the advice. Haven't used vetrycin before - will general vetrycin plus work or does it need to be the chicken version? Regular I can get tomorrow, the other is only at TS and will have to wait a few days.
She's the biggest of our new girls and I haven't seen her pecked except on rare occasions (may have happened once today when they were bickering over scraps). The smallest one is pecked far more often.

It doesn't seem to be bothering her - she didn't respond when my daughter touched it and doesn't feel different than the rest of the comb.

Thanks for the advice. Haven't used vetrycin before - will general vetrycin plus work or does it need to be the chicken version? Regular I can get tomorrow, the other is only at TS and will have to wait a few days.
She's the biggest of our new girls and I haven't seen her pecked except on rare occasions (may have happened once today when they were bickering over scraps). The smallest one is pecked far more often.

It doesn't seem to be bothering her - she didn't respond when my daughter touched it and doesn't feel different than the rest of the comb.
Any vetricyn will work.
You can see peck marks on her comb. I don't always see my chickens get pecked, but it happens. That would be my concern and the fact that it's a different color is concerning like I mentioned earlier. Definitely keep an eye on it.

After I posted that, I went to bed and thought oh that's just a rose comb gone a wry. Nothing to worry about unless the other chickens think it's a treat. :D

Back
Top Bottom