Wyandotte Crosses

Chewbagawk

Chirping
May 15, 2015
Central California - Bay Area
Hi, I think Wyandottes (and all of their color varieties) are one of the most beautiful chicken breeds, and I am interested in seeing some Wyandotte crosses that you all have bred (Silver Laced x Golden Laced, etc). Looking forward to seeing your fancy dinosaurs, thanks!

Last edited:
Sometimes size and color can change during breeding, but not usually. I really love the Blue-Laced Red, even though it's not accepted by the APA, and Columbian (any breed with that plumage), but genetics are very interesting to figure out. This is a picture of a cross, I believe, labeled as a Blue-Laced Wyandotte. I'd guess it's a Silver-Laced x Blue, since blue dilutes black to greyish-silver.

BlueLSilLacedWyBtyP.JPEG

Sometimes size and color can change during breeding, but not usually. I really love the Blue-Laced Red, even though it's not accepted by the APA, and Columbian (any breed with that plumage), but genetics are very interesting to figure out.  This is a picture of a cross, I believe, labeled as a Blue-Laced Wyandotte. I'd guess it's a Silver-Laced x Blue, since blue dilutes black to greyish-silver. 

BlueLSilLacedWyBtyP.JPEG
Beautiful bird you have there! I thought it would be interesting if the breeding really did change a lot with the offspring. How cool would it be to have a golden laced blue or something like that? They're beautiful as is, but I was curious if you could do... "direct" combinations between different Wyandottes and get abstract colors. Thanks!

Beautiful bird you have there! I thought it would be interesting if the breeding really did change a lot with the offspring. How cool would it be to have a golden laced blue or something like that? They're beautiful as is, but I was curious if you could do... "direct" combinations between different Wyandottes and get abstract colors. Thanks!
It's not actually mine, per say, just one I saw a picture of. It would be interesting to have a golden-laced blue, though I can't think of a way to breed that.

By your last statement, do mean if you bred two completely different varieties of Wyandottes and got offspring that looked like neither parent?

It's not actually mine, per say, just one I saw a picture of. It would be interesting to have a golden-laced blue, though I can't think of a way to breed that. 

By your last statement, do mean if you bred two completely different varieties of Wyandottes and got offspring that looked like neither parent? 
I meant that if you bred two varieties of Wyandottes (Silver laced with Golden laced, for example) and their offspring took on attributes from both parents (golden and silver/white feathers, or something like that)

I meant that if you bred two varieties of Wyandottes (Silver laced with Golden laced, for example) and their offspring took on attributes from both parents (golden and silver/white feathers, or something like that)
You may be able to, but it all depends on the genetics. Usually, one color is dominant over the other, and feather genetics are extremely complex.

I bet! If only it were as simple as "red + blue = purple"
haha, I wish. Sometimes it's a simple as Black x White = 100% Black. But when you get into the primary (solid) and secondary (laced, penciled, etc.) patterns, then it gets confusing. But I like comb genetics. There is actually a "Chicken Calculator" to calculate genetics for you, but it's hard to determine what the genetic "formula" for your bird is, and what the results mean.

haha, I wish. Sometimes it's a simple as Black x White = 100% Black. But when you get into the primary (solid) and secondary (laced, penciled, etc.) patterns, then it gets confusing. But I like comb genetics. There is actually a "Chicken Calculator" to calculate genetics for you, but it's hard to determine what the genetic "formula" for your bird is, and what the results mean. 
Darn you, complicated science! At least they're pretty as is

Back
Top Bottom