Wyandotte Egg Color

Madie'sOddFlock

Songster
6 Years
Apr 17, 2018
Maine
My hens are just old enough to start laying but they're intermingled with other hens which could have laid in my coop. Long story short, does anyone have wyandottes that lay darker brown eggs? I want to know if my wyandotte's started laying and the eggs are a slightly different brown than the other girls lay but they're also average sized eggs(not really pullet eggs).
Anything helps,
Thanks,
Madie

Thinking Wyandotte eggs are normally described as a medium brown. :) One of my Dottes laid a decently dark egg, though, and they were sometimes speckled! :love
DSCN5502.JPG

~Alex

It comes down to which strain within the breed sometimes. I have some black sex links that I think may have some BCM in their lineage because the girls lay a super dark, nearly chocolate colored egg. Back after Katrina while doing restoration work, i meet an old cajon guy had a bunch of leghorns that layed brown eggs as big as duck or goose eggs. He said he only hatched the darkest eggs for 20+ years to finally get a brown egg laying white leghorn. Who knows?

Although, the reason I haven't checked her vent is because 1. she's my hardest hen to catch, and 2. she's the rudest of them all(even more so than my roos...)

But maybe her attitude could benefit a bit from me checking her vent.
Do it at night well after dark, pretty easy to 'catch' them off the roost.
I wear a headlight so I can use both hands.
You may still have to catch them 'in the act' of laying to confirm who is laying which egg.

Well, she's the only brown egg layer old enough out of my 14 to be laying, but we'll see. And thanks for the tip about the dark. I knew that and I completely forgot about it.
Perfect time to learn to do butt checks, you can compare layer to non-layers.
Not that it will be the end all to knowing who is laying or not,
bones can spread a week or so before laying commences,
but great way to learn general 'normal' anatomy in case something abnormal comes along in the future.

Back
Top Bottom