Wyandotte Egg Color

My Silver Laced Wyandotte laid (I say 'laid' because she hasn't lain an egg since earliesh November) a creamy (brown?) colored egg often with a pink hue, and teeny white speckles/dots all over it. Her eggs, while perfectly shaped, are also on the small to medium side.
IMG_8081 (900x675).jpg

IMG_9211 (900x675).jpg

Even though all my hens laying are brown egg layers, I have a nice assortment in the brown shades. :love

There's a lot of talktalktalkyukyukyuk about lipstick,
but I do not recall many (or really anyone) actually doing it.
I cut a little sliver of lipstick off and stuck it in one's vent once. Her body heat must have melted it, cause for the next 2 days you could see it on the eggs and in the poo. I think food coloring might work better but I haven't tried it yet. But I'm about to. I have 3 Ameraucana hens with bright red faces that are 10 months old and ain't seen a blue egg yet from them. Haven't seen any eggs for that much. I think a drop or two of blue in the old wazoo might let me know if they are holding back till spring. And if they are laying those tinted eggs, ill at least get a couple blue eggs from them. :gig
:lau

Last edited:
How long did it take for them to start laying? I purchased two chicks back in March and neither one is ready to lay.

How long did it take for them to start laying? I purchased two chicks back in March and neither one is ready to lay.
Hmm. That seems odd. My hatch date was almost the end of april and they all started by November. Mixed breeds so it varied. Some August and some into November.

What breed are they?

Mine are at least 10 months old now and haven't seen a single egg from them. I haven't seen none of the 3 in the nest, squatting, or even practicing. Their faces and little combs are bright red and have been for 3-4 months. I reckon they are gonna wait till spring? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom