Wyandotte Egg Color

Another way to tell might be by weight. I know my SLW eggs are smaller than my 2 year olds. But they are catching up. LOL I weight every eggs I get.

Thanks @RustyBucketFarmGirl @Compost King @EggWalrus and @ChickNanny13
Although, the reason I haven't checked her vent is because 1. she's my hardest hen to catch, and 2. she's the rudest of them all(even more so than my roos...)
My SLW are like that too. Last night I was cooping them up and one of the SLW ran down to the run. I was trying to open the tall door to get into the run and she went crazy. Running back and forth and finally went up the ladder. I opened and closed that coop door in record time. LOL. And both of my SLW will peck me if I try to touch them. Every once in awhile they will let me pick them up. Now my BO and my ISABrown will let me pick them up. They can fly in and out of the coop but they rarely do. Just stand on one leg
( cold foot???) with sad puppy eyes so I will pick them up and put them in the coop. Birds are funny creatures.

would it matter at all that she's a BLRW?
I'm thinking it might. I collected eggs when I got home tonight, and there was a small, dark brown one with speckles that I am sure finally came from Bella, my BLRW, who is the last of my 4 youngsters to start laying. In fact, I got on here tonight to see if I could find out what color egg that variety lays. She's been slower to mature than the others, but her comb has really darkened in the last week or so, and she was in the second box when I tended them this morning and that's where I found this egg. Plus the other 3 have been laying for several weeks now and their eggs are getting larger. (Pretty sure all of my older girls are on hiatus due to molting and darkening days.) This is the darkest brown egg I've ever gotten from any of my hens. My older SLW lays a much lighter egg, like many have described above. I've tried to capture it in a picture, but the light in the kitchen is washing it out a bit. It's darker than even these pictures show.
IMG_20191212_183809028.jpg IMG_20191212_183743841.jpg

Ha. Just realized how old this thread is! That's what comes from doing an internet search... Still, curious if it was indeed from your RLBW and they do lay a darker egg than most other Wyandottes.

Ha. Just realized how old this thread is! That's what comes from doing an internet search... Still, curious if it was indeed from your RLBW and they do lay a darker egg than most other Wyandottes.
I do think that my darker egg was from my BLRW, since it stopped coming right around when I lost her to a weasel last spring... sadly she hadn't laid very many, so I never got any babies from her, but I plan to keep having BLRWs so maybe I can tell you for certain one day.

Back
Top Bottom