Wyandotte help?!

gonehencrazy

Songster
Jul 6, 2016
I have three beautiful birds whose mother was supposedly a Welsummer. Below is a picture of the father. Someone told me that my pullets looked like Silver laced Wyandotte crosses. But today someone said that my cockerel is not a SLW but a Patridge Wyandotte. Any help is appreciated!!

The chicks-I picked 3

19 week cockerel "Batman"

The girls- Oreo and Choc Chip Cookie

That rooster is either an impure Wyandotte or he is not the father. Pure Silver Laced Wyandotte cocks will produce only Silver (white) offspring when crossed to a gold hen (for example a Welsummer). Was that the case, you rooster would have white where he is gold. So either the dad is that bird, and he's a mixed Wyandotte (either mixed variety or mixed breed), and impure for the Silver gene and so able to produce both silver and gold offspring, or he is not the father. Looking at the father's photo, I'd say the mixed variety option is most likely. He's probably the result of a Silver Laced Wyandotte X Gold Laced Wyandotte crossing, resulting in that dirty yellow color you can see in his saddle. Your cockerel is a mix; he's not a Partridge anything and he's not a pure Wyandotte. Just a simple mixed breed.

That rooster is either an impure Wyandotte or he is not the father. Pure Silver Laced Wyandotte cocks will produce only Silver (white) offspring when crossed to a gold hen (for example a Welsummer). Was that the case, you rooster would have white where he is gold. So either the dad is that bird, and he's a mixed Wyandotte (either mixed variety or mixed breed), and impure for the Silver gene and so able to produce both silver and gold offspring, or he is not the father. Looking at the father's photo, I'd say the mixed variety option is most likely. He's probably the result of a Silver Laced Wyandotte X Gold Laced Wyandotte crossing, resulting in that dirty yellow color you can see in his saddle. Your cockerel is a mix; he's not a Partridge anything and he's not a pure Wyandotte. Just a simple mixed breed.

I realize he is a mix. The goal was to find out what his father was. His mum was a Welsummer. I honestly thought the rooster was some kind of EE. Maybe there were two donors. Who knows.

He is beautiful no matter what. The lacing in his chest is gorgeous. The patterning on the pullets is spectacular and unique. I may cross them with my blue wheaten Ameraucana to get some beautiful EEs.

I realize he is a mix. The goal was to find out what his father was. His mum was a Welsummer. I honestly thought the rooster was some kind of EE. Maybe there were two donors. Who knows.

He is beautiful no matter what. The lacing in his chest is gorgeous. The patterning on the pullets is spectacular and unique. I may cross them with my blue wheaten Ameraucana to get some beautiful EEs.
Misha was talking about the father of the chicks. It wasn't the Wyandotte in the first pic, or if it was that bird, he's not a pure Wyandotte.

A bird (or any animal) can only be a pure bred if both parents are that same breed. you can't get a pure bred Wyandotte of any color if both parents aren't Wyandottes.

Batman is a Gold Laced Wyandotte

Partridge fowl in the USA are solid black on their chests, they will not have lacing.
In Europe you will see their partridge birds have some red on their chests, but that is not the same as the lacing look.

Batman is a Gold Laced Wyandotte

Partridge fowl in the USA are solid black on their chests, they will not have lacing.
In Europe you will see their partridge birds have some red on their chests, but that is not the same as the lacing look.

How can he be a Wyandotte when his mother was a Welsummer?

simple the mother was not a welsummer nor was it silver laced wyandotte. The dad to that first bird had to be both gold laced wyandottes

simple the mother was not a welsummer nor was it silver laced wyandotte. The dad to that first bird had to be both gold laced wyandottes 

Why couldn't his mother have been a Welsummer? He is very much colored like a Welsummer roo? Maybe the Welsummer was more dominate in him while the girls got the Wyandotte coloring?

Back
Top Bottom