Wyandotte mix, or not?

wild chick

Songster
7 Years
Jul 23, 2016
Southern NM mountains @ 6400'
The rooster is a Silver Lace Wyandotte produced from a SLW Rooster x Gold Lace W Hen. The egg could have been from a SLW or a GLW or Black Australorp, Buff Orp, Buckeye, Cockoo Marans or Easter Egger (they all lay brown eggs - long story, but only 1 live chick). I'm leaning to another Wyandotte. Photo is from today at 12 days old - lots of feathers including a tail already, hoping for a pullet! Just posting this for fun, obviously with this mixed flock I don't really care.

P1300910.JPG

Hard to tell if the comb will be rose or pea, but you are probably right about the mother being a wyandotte. My second choice would be the EE. She (hopefully) is a little cutie!:)

On another thread, everyone said cockerel, what do you think? Today while taking photos I thought the he looked more like a pullet. The only two hens that have any barred feathers are the cuckoo marans or maybe the easter egger. I do remember thinking for a long time that the EE was a cockerel because of her long "mane". Hatched Sept 7, these photos are today at 13 weeks. Most of the flock is just starting to look normal after molting, so not all have grown back all their feathers and have pale combs & wattles. Except Ophelia with the orange band is still laying, not molted yet. Here's a mess o' photos for you all who like to play guessing games.
1. Easter Egger Muffy with Onesey
2. Cuckoo Marnans Cocoa with Onesey - note the speckled leg feathers
3. Rooster Stuart (1/2 SLW 1/2 GLW)
4. Edith an EF (not a possibility) Dixie (SLW) Muffy (EE), Ophelia (SLW)
5. Onesey - looking like a cockerel
6. Onesey - feminine - looking head?

fullsizeoutput_224.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_226.jpeg
P1310496.JPG
P1310497.JPG
P1310499.JPG
P1310485.JPG

Back
Top Bottom