Wyandotte,Speckled Sussex or EE?

Ellie

Songster
12 Years
Aug 10, 2007
Redding, Ca.
I ordered 11 chicks and one died. So I am not positive about the id of my chickens. I think the Americana died.

Is this the Wyandotte.... they said it was a silver laced W. but it doesn't look like that to me. Dorothy, the one on the left.

What do you think? The other, Marmalade on the right is a speckled sussex I think.

DorothyandMarmalade.jpg

Thanks,
Ellie

Last edited:
The one on the left is definetly not a Silver Laced Wyandotte. It looks more like a Speckled Sussex.
The one on the right could be your Ameraucana more likely an EE...I don't see any muffs or a beard, I can't tell if it has a pea comb, so it could be something else. What other breeds did you order?

Jean

Jean,
All that I ordered are in my signature thing... all except I thought it was the Americana that died. Now I am not so sure.

Ellie

Last edited:
There is no wyandotte in that picture, the one on the right looks like an EE.
added: Yes, sussex left, EE right, I'de say it was your wyandotte that must have died.

Additionally, Wyandottes have a rose comb(most of the time) yours has a single comb like a sussex and it looks like a sussex too.

The comb on the one on the right looks like a pea comb to me, but it is a little difficult to tell when it's that small and when you have my eyes.
The coloring is typical of an EE, and though it doesn't have beard and muffs, that doesn't mean anything because alot of ee's don't have them.
The legs look like they could be green but I can't tell for sure.
Anyway, based on your list of possabilities, the only thing they could be is,
Sussex left
Easter Egger right

Last edited:
Thanks everyone. Yes, the one on the right has grey/green legs. She is the one who is different from the rest... she roosts by herself and is the alpha hen it seems.

Shhhh, let's don't tell my mom. She named Dorothy after wyanDOTTE... it has been good therapy for her. My dad died two weeks ago and she has come over to see the chickens and named Dorothy. They are amazing.. she actually laughed out loud at them for the first time since he died. Cool little chickens
jumpy.gif

Thanks again, guess I had them wrong but I believe y'all are correct: speckled sussex and Americana. Will get green eggs after all.

Ellie

Back
Top Bottom