Wyandottes aggressive?

I have columbian wyandottes from a breeder...the hens have never been agressive and are super sweet birds (and great layers)...we also had several roos (mix up in sexing on the breeders part) and they were the SWEETEST roos in world! Roosted on our arms and talked to us! I think it really depends on the breeding! If you are looking to get hatchery stock, sounds like it's a huge unknown!

Bantam wyandottes were on my 'want list'. Are bantam wyandottes HENS less likely to be aggressive than standard sized wyandottes?

I had a standard silver laced wyandotte for about 6 years, maybe more.
Got i got when she was a chick from a breeder.
She was tame and friendly to people, but HATED other chickens. No matter who the chickens were.
She tried to kill any other chicken (even our roosters) so we had to keep her separate.
Even though she was 6 years old, she still layed well in the warmer months and she was very very cold hardy.
She took good care of herself when she would free range, very independent chicken.

My silver laced wyandotte (hatchery) was a great hen. She was fairly patient with my kids and would occasionally let them pick her up. She loved me and I could hold her whenever I wanted.

She was the head hen though. Treated the other hens well. She hated the rooster I introduced when she was a year old. Refused to give up her head spot, so he was lower on the pecking her. If the rooster ever came at me, she attacked him. She definitely had my back.
love.gif

Bantam wyandottes were on my 'want list'. Are bantam wyandottes HENS less likely to be aggressive than standard sized wyandottes?
I have a blue lace who’s 9 months old and she has always been assertive but now she aggrestively pecks at the other hens and me where She draws blood. My 2 gold lace are the least assertive of my hens. My reason for adding them to the flock was I had read Wyandotte’s were docile. Not sure if I can keep her if she becomes more aggressive.

I have hatchery silver laced wyandottes ans they are not at all what I would call agressive. They are toward the top of the pecking order though. I would describe them and their attitude more like the prettiest guys or gals in high school. They are pretty and a little stuck up haha. They are the prettiest birds in the yard and I will always have some. They are not the friendly or cuddly though. Mine are good layers and great foragers but they shine the most as eye candy.

I have three Gold Laced Wyandotte hens. They came from a hatchery. They are calm and pleasant. They aren’t aggressive ever. Just my take. :)

I have a blue lace who’s 9 months old and she has always been assertive but now she aggrestively pecks at the other hens and me where She draws blood. My 2 gold lace are the least assertive of my hens. My reason for adding them to the flock was I had read Wyandotte’s were docile. Not sure if I can keep her if she becomes more aggressive.
I have hatchery silver laced wyandottes ans they are not at all what I would call agressive. They are toward the top of the pecking order though. I would describe them and their attitude more like the prettiest guys or gals in high school. They are pretty and a little stuck up haha. They are the prettiest birds in the yard and I will always have some. They are not the friendly or cuddly though. Mine are good layers and great foragers but they shine the most as eye candy.
I have three Gold Laced Wyandotte hens. They came from a hatchery. They are calm and pleasant. They aren’t aggressive ever. Just my take. :)
This is an old thread. The update keeps messing me up.
But I've been wanting Wyandottes for a while now, and tis was helpful

Back
Top Bottom