Wyandottes/BA's-what age will I know if roo/pullet?

eponagirl

Songster
10 Years
Mar 10, 2009
Quiet Corner, CT
I have three golden laced wyandottes and that three Black Australorps that of course are supposed to be pullets...what age will I know for sure? They are 8 weeks old this week, all the GLW's have reddish combs now and the wattles are starting in, but only slightly. The BA's combs are still light, but wattles are begining to form too. I don't notice anything else in their feathering, but have never seen a cockerel at this age to compare.

1. What age will I know?

2. Does anyone have pics of their Wyandotte or Black Australorp Cockerels at 8-10 weeks old?

I would like to know this too..I have four babies whose mother is a GLW...they all look like her but I have my suspicions that one is a roo for sure. Mine are about 8 weeks. I will post pics of them tomorrow...

When they crow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Seriously, youll know male from female by the comb amd wattles, which redden and enlarge on the male.
They also get a bit larger and more erect than the females at around 8 weeks.

But the sure way to know is to wait til they crow

I'm hoping that the reason I'm having a hard time is that they are all pullets and so don't HAVE any roo characteristics!
lol.png

...but then again, it could be the other way around!
th.gif

Davaroo, can always count on you for the best answer!
big_smile.png

Quote:
At 8 weeks, the male/female characteristics should begin to appear. If you are not accustomed to looking for them, though, they can be overlooked.
Coincidentally, about the time they become pronounced enough to be obvious – is when the crowing commences.

It shouldn’t be too long!

I don't have any pics of my Australorps but I could most definitely tell that my roos were roos and my pullets were pullets by 8 weeks. My roos had good sized combs going on already by 8 weeks old.

Laurie

Back
Top Bottom