Wyandottes genders (and maybe-not-Wyandotte individual?)

I love them, lots of funny little moments. They hate wild birds and chase them off. They are very curious with my english bulldog, they come right up to her face and stare or follow her around. Big personalities, but in a good way. My sweetest hens are the olive eggers.

Did you notice my little dwarf black australorp in the picture?

Yes, is that what she is? I thought just a young one hunching her neck in. Interesting!

We have welsummer cockerels and easter egger pullets, and may end up breeding them to get some olive eggers... I know it's a crapshoot with easter eggers since they are already a hybrid, but if any of our girls lays blue or green eggs, we might try it and see what we get...

Are your olive eggers laying yet?

Yes, is that what she is? I thought just a young one hunching her neck in. Interesting!

We have welsummer cockerels and easter egger pullets, and may end up breeding them to get some olive eggers... I know it's a crapshoot with easter eggers since they are already a hybrid, but if any of our girls lays blue or green eggs, we might try it and see what we get...

Are your olive eggers laying yet?
Do you have updates?

Do you have updates?
Yes! We have 5 Wyandotte roosters (including the weirdo with the single comb) and 2 hens.

And we haven't harvested yet! Still procrastinating. But now the house build is in a lull, all of our equpment arrived (we ordered 1 at a time... 'OK now we have good poultry shears, but shouldn't we get a dedicated burner for scalding?'), the weather is calm and sunny, and we have recovered from our 2nd Moderna shots... so maybe today is the day...? They are already 20 weeks+...

Yes! We have 5 Wyandotte roosters (including the weirdo with the single comb) and 2 hens.

And we haven't harvested yet! Still procrastinating. But now the house build is in a lull, all of our equpment arrived (we ordered 1 at a time... 'OK now we have good poultry shears, but shouldn't we get a dedicated burner for scalding?'), the weather is calm and sunny, and we have recovered from our 2nd Moderna shots... so maybe today is the day...? They are already 20 weeks+...
Classic 2020 roo ratio! 🙈 So, which two were the girls (5&6??)? I think my little is a roo! 😭 ...those wattles at 4-5 weeks!

Attachments

• A83F12E8-3C2B-4D97-A5B8-A438AC1AC769.jpeg
    A83F12E8-3C2B-4D97-A5B8-A438AC1AC769.jpeg
    465.9 KB · Views: 3
  • 9408BF14-09F8-4CC5-8B78-9D178D8CFA10.jpeg
    9408BF14-09F8-4CC5-8B78-9D178D8CFA10.jpeg
    491.3 KB · Views: 3
Classic 2020 roo ratio! 🙈 So, which two were the girls (5&6??)? I think my little is a roo! 😭 ...those wattles at 4-5 weeks!
I can't complain about the ratio, since we got 5 Australorp hens and 2 roosters! On the other hand, we also got 5 Welsummer roos and 2 hens... so 12:9 for the 21 straight run kiddos. Oh well, fewer eggs, but more chicken dinners! Luckily we also ordered 3 easter egger pullets, so we are 12:12 overall!

We didn't leg tag them or anything, but yeah, I am thinking #5 and #6 were the girls. Here's a photo before & after of the Australorps and Wyandottes I did on request on my separate Australorp thread: Australorp Genders

And yeah... maybe your little one is a guy... but wait and see!

We did finally harvest our first yesterday, by the way. 2 Wyandottes and a Welsummer. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom