Wyandottes, Orpingtons, or both?

Purrl

Chirping
Aug 19, 2022
Got a new batch of chicks at TSC today. Brooder had "Mixed Color Orpingtons" and "Silver Laced Wyandottes" (not gonna swear the Wyandotte sign said silver laced, but pretty sure). So, told the guy I wanted 6 Orpingtons. Couldn't really tell one from the other, and I know the Orpingtons said "mixed color" (which I thought would be neat), and forgot how pretty the Wyandottes would be. Took some screenshots from videos of their first time in their new home, and have a question about the breeds. There are 3 with the light markings around their faces, and three mostly black with grey wings/chests. Don't really care if they're all Orpingtons, tbh, but I'm curious. Do I have mixed colors or mixed breeds?

I can post better pics tomorrow, but wanted to just throw this out there because I'm really, really curious. 🙃
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 22.42.54.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 22.45.09.png
Screen Shot 2022-08-20 at 22.47.24.png

Pictures blurry.
Yeah, had to take the screen shots from a video. Thought I'd taken more pics, but no good ones, and they're all asleep now. This is them from above, and you can see the different marking on the backs, but only the "fancy" ones have the obvious facial markings.
tempImage986rIo.png

They're Wyandottes! They have a rose comb whereas Orpingtons have the single combs! :)
After getting home and doing more research I'm thrilled to hear this! It was an emergency purchase: my first time out got chicks from a local lady and 4 of 5 are boys. Wasn't even sure I could get chicks this late in the TSC season, familiar with Orpingtons so asked for those.

I'm so excited to have Wyandottes! (Assuming the ones without markings are Black Orpingtons, so win-win!)

Back
Top Bottom