Wyandottes??

What I'm intrigued about is the dark eyes rather than just the single comb. Wyandottes and most production blues do not have those. The single comb in conjunction with dark eyes and lack of yellow skin leads me to believe you have a Blue Australorp (or potentially Blue Orpington) along with your Blue Wyandotte
I have 5 production blues. 2 have dark eyes and 3 have light.

We have 6 gold laced Wyandottes and they all have yellow legs.... and I believe what is called rose combs.... They are enjoying a messy snack.... Cracks me up when they give you that 'side eye' look and have a messy beak!!!

Attachments

• Karen1.jpg
    Karen1.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 4
  • Karen2.jpg
    Karen2.jpg
    28.1 KB · Views: 4
Some hatchery "Wyandottes" do have single combs. It has to do with the genes involved, but it's not particularly rare.

But the ones with single combs could just as easily be one of the hybrid types with blue feathers who lay brown eggs, that have been showing up in stores and hatcheries recently.

It's common for hens with yellow skin to become less yellow as they lay eggs--some of the yellow goes into the egg yolks, but when they stop laying to molt their skin gets more yellow again. It doesn't hurt the chickens, but can be surprising when you first notice the change.
Very interesting! I didn’t know that

What I'm intrigued about is the dark eyes rather than just the single comb. Wyandottes and most production blues do not have those. The single comb in conjunction with dark eyes and lack of yellow skin leads me to believe you have a Blue Australorp (or potentially Blue Orpington) along with your Blue Wyandotte
My husband used to joke that I’d gotten buzzards🙄. They are pretty now that they are full grown though, glad we got through that awkward teenager stage!

The single combs are bigger and stand more upright. ( In fact one is HUGE! Her name was Olive which is now Big Olive) More of an Orpington body style. The rose combs are shorter to the ground and their tails don’t curve as much.

The single combs are bigger and stand more upright. ( In fact one is HUGE! Her name was Olive which is now Big Olive) More of an Orpington body style. The rose combs are shorter to the ground and their tails don’t curve as much.
Definitely sounds like two different kinds.

The rose combs are most likely Blue Wyandottes, because that's the only common breed with a rose comb that comes in blue.

The single combs still have several possibilities, and I don't personally have the knowledge to sort out which one, but all of them are good kinds to have :)

Back
Top Bottom