Wyandottes?

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like them.

My reasons:
1. Mean.
2. Did not like to be handled at all.
3. Killed other hens chicks.
4. Killed their OWN chicks.
5. Awful layers.

My wyandottes are some of my favorites. I have BLRWs and Blues and some SLW chicks. Mine are very friendly and not mean at all. Mine aren't hatchery birds tho so I think that can make a big difference.

That must be the difference. Mine were from Ideal and are on my "do not ever get again" list.

Wyandottes are my favorite I only have three ( one white and two columbian) but they have been the easiest to care for. Wish I had more.

Last edited:
rodriguezpoultry always try again with a breed because the outcome could be different from someone else.I had bad experiences with certain breeds like RIR but know people who simply adore them and give you a different outlook on them.I tried again with the breed from someone else and was very pleased at the difference.They all have there own personalities that's for sure
smile.png

Wyandoote are by far the best breed out there they are beauthful and very friendly and poductive Wyandotte rock

i have Blue Laced Reds and would never dreem of getting out of them they are great

I like my SLW, they aren't all that friendly but they sure aren't mean - they are really good foragers and steady layers of large light brown eggs. Very winter hardy, and relatively quiet, striking color and wonderfully shaped birds.
big_smile.png

Quote:
Glad I'm not the only one who doesn't like them.

My reasons:
1. Mean.
2. Did not like to be handled at all.
3. Killed other hens chicks.
4. Killed their OWN chicks.
5. Awful layers.

I am not sure where you got your Wyandottes from....ours are the best chickenson the place. They run at our feet when we go into the chicken yard. We have not had a mean rooster yet. They are great chickens.....

I have one adult Wyandotte right now and she is hands down everyones favorite. She is sweet, the easiest to handle (she doesnt run like the others when I try to pick her up), and lays as often as my other hens, and keeps laying when the others stop during winter. The only thing I don't really like about her (which is strangely contrary to what everyone else has said) is that she is very loud. She talks aaaaall the time!

I am new to the breed and I have 5 pullets and a roo, all SLW, and I expected them to be standoffish after everything I had read about them before purchasing them. I got them because they looked beautiful, were suppose to be good layers, and were good with people. After I ordered them I read that sometimes they can be aggressive, and that might have changed my decision to order them if I had known it when I ordered them, and I'd be a sad person now. My Wyandotte kids each have their own personality, and yes, some are more affectionate than others, but I absolutely love them. I bonded faster with them than with any of my other chicks. They are nearly 5 weeks old now and when I open the brooder lid they are always the first ones out, and they are playful. My roo, Sir Wyandotte is my baby. The moment I say "That's my baby" in a voice drippy in affection, he lays completely down and gets ready to be hugged and snuggled. He loves to come sit in the living room on the desk and chase my cursor across the screen. He's a sweetheart. I'm hoping that he and the girls stay as sweet as they are now. They are great birds and if their personalities stay sweet, I think I will own SLW's for many years to come.

Back
Top Bottom