Wyendotte stopped laying after a surgery

Nov 22, 2023
Hi all!

I wanted to ask your opinion about one of my Wyendottes.

I wrote about her in another thread, but I will describe what the problem is here.

For reference - another thread: link

In short: Young hen, 10 months now, had problem with her first egg. We went to vet, they saved her, and said she had no "hole" to let the egg out. Very rare. They made a hole, kept her for a week and she was completely fine!

We were told she may not lay for some time, because of surgery, which made me happy, coz I was afraid about her internals when next egg will come. After all she had more then enough time to heal properly and... I found an egg in the run. And then another. Checked cctv recordings and it was her, being surprised by an egg, she released it just where she was with just a little push. Vent ok, egg normal - "perfect!" I thought, but that was it. She laid those two and nothing more since 3 weeks I think.

What do you think about this? Can hen just "decide" not to lay any more eggs for some reason? If she needed more time, why she's laid those two in the run?

Sorry for your loss, but thank you for this thread. I'm in your shoes right now. One of my first time layers vent looked exactly like your Ducky's.

We found out about this today, but I think it happened yesterday. We gave her bath and tried to take the egg out, but the shell was already broken. Whole uterus out... :(

I managed to drive her to the vet where they gave her painkillers and she stayed with them for ultrasound scan and surgery (if viable at all)...

I just started my account on this forum - didn't know posting about such terrible problem will be my first thing to do here :(
The thread you referenced was a prolapse where the egg was bound in the oviduct, there actually is a hole, it's just wrapped around itself.

If her whole uterus was out? The vet likely had to make an incision to remove the egg, which then likely allowed the tissue to be drawn back in. Hard to know, just thinking about poultry anatomy and how it's made, but the Vet could tell you more.

Anyway. If she has successfully laid a couple since the prolapse, that's good, hard to know why she's not laid anymore, could be taking a break, could be laying internally or ....???
Just guesses!
If she's active, eating/drinking and doing her chickening thing with her flock, then I'd just keep watch on her and see how it goes.
said she had no "hole" to let the egg out. Very rare. They made a hole, kept her for a week and she was completely fine!

Back
Top Bottom