Wyndotte bantam not getting up Help!!!

codeylpowell

In the Brooder
Sep 8, 2015
She is about a year old and it has been cold. When I went out to go feed she was laying in the yard with her eyes closed. I brought her inside cause I though she was cold. She has been inside for about three hours now and still doing the same thing. It seems like she doesn't have much balance and she keeps twisting her head. It does look like she has snot in her nose. If it is newcastle does anyone know how to keep if from the rest of the flock like clean-up and is there a cure or treatment for it. She is also refusing water. Please help this is really important to me and my school work. (11th grade)

What location are you? Newcastles Disease is usually not a problem in the US, but it is a virus that is not curable with antibiotics. I would separate her in a warm setting away from the others until you can determine what her problem is. Nasal drainage is usually a sign of a respiratory disease. A twisted neck (wry neck, crook neck, torticolis) can be a symptom of Mareks disease, some infectious diseases, and from head injuries or vitamin deficiencies. If you can get her to take some water with vitamins and electrolytes, and then give her some chopped egg and chicken feed with water added, she may respond. If she dies suddenly, I would place her body in a plastic bag in the refrigerator (not freezer) to preserve it for a necropsy by your state or local vet.

Necropsies or chicken autopsies done by the state vet can be free in certain states such as California or New Hampshire, but most states charge a fee. Call your state vet with any questions about symptoms or illnesses they are seeing in yiur area. Avian flu has been in the news again this year, and since it is spread by migrating water fowl, you could ask about any current problems in MO.

Back
Top Bottom