X-Ray of my favorite hen... RIP

Thanks Kathy. It is SO hard to lose one (I've lost young ones to predators on the last) but especially a favorite because they just don't come along everyday.

I did not know that but will file the link for future reference. Yesterday I wasn't prepared for what happened - I thought they would be able to treat her and she'd get better. She's buried in a nice spot, fitting for her place in my heart, under a big, pretty old oak tree.

It is hard... but glad you found a nice spot to bury her, that's what I usually do.
hugs.gif

-Kathy

Thank you, turtlesgalore.

Just got a call from the vet with the fecal sample results from mixed poop from my flock. She said they have a moderate load of Ascarid, which is round round. I'll give them all valbazen tomorrow and again in 10 days.

Now I'm tortured by the thought that my hen was mainly sick from having worms. If something like this ever happens again, I will go slower on decision making. Live and learn the sucky way. :(

I'm sorry for your loss! We lost our pet RIR Monday and it was terrible! I feel your pain, however we have NO ONE in the area that will treat chickens or even give advice, so I can only go on speculations as to what was wrong with her. We did not even notice any issues until it was far too late and as we were trying to syringe feed her antibiotics she died in my arms, it was awful! Hoping for the best for the rest of your flock! Trying to treat mine for what we think is coccia and hoping that make it through. I never thought I would ever be so emotional over a pet chicken as she was the first we have ever lost. Sweet thoughts sent your way!

Thank you, turtlesgalore.

Just got a call from the vet with the fecal sample results from mixed poop from my flock. She said they have a moderate load of Ascarid, which is round round. I'll give them all valbazen tomorrow and again in 10 days.

Now I'm tortured by the thought that my hen was mainly sick from having worms. If something like this ever happens again, I will go slower on decision making. Live and learn the sucky way. :(

Please understand that I mean this in the nicest way possible, really, I do. Okay... Don't second guess yourself or beat yourself up, 'cause sometimes this is how we learn, I know it's how I learn. One thing I've learned in the last two years is that there is no downside to worming a sick one with something like Safeguard or Valbazen the moment I see they are ill, because if they're so sick that worming them will kill them, they're not likely to live regardless of what you do for them.

Hope you feel better real soon. :hugs

-Kathy

I'm sorry for your loss! We lost our pet RIR Monday and it was terrible! I feel your pain, however we have NO ONE in the area that will treat chickens or even give advice, so I can only go on speculations as to what was wrong with her. We did not even notice any issues until it was far too late and as we were trying to syringe feed her antibiotics she died in my arms, it was awful! Hoping for the best for the rest of your flock! Trying to treat mine for what we think is coccia and hoping that make it through. I never thought I would ever be so emotional over a pet chicken as she was the first we have ever lost. Sweet thoughts sent your way!

Welcome to BYC! Sorry for your loss.

-Kathy

I wouldn't second guess anything either. If the bird was suffering enough for you to take it to the vet, then it probably would've died within hours anyways. Birds can die very fast once they lay down and stop moving. The biggest thing I'd take away from this is that if the vets don't treat chickens, then they aren't much use, except for fecal samples. But at least they made the transition smoother.

Yesterday I felt like throwing in the towel after attempting to worm 39 birds by myself. I had a list of their names, baggies of bread chunks soaked with valbazen for each size, but it didn't go well. I got a few to cooperate then gave up and spent the rest of the day feeling sorry for myself. Before the pity party, while I was trying to dispense worm meds, I noticed a 10 week old pullet that I've raised hand raised was not her usual dramatic self. I brought her in, wormed her, and this morning she is perkier - thank God!

Tomorrow I've got help lined up to give the rest of the flock the wormer, and they will come back to help with the second dose as well. That's a huge relief.

What I've learned is that I definitely need to stick to a routine worming schedule. Prevention is worth a pound of cure.

Now if I can just find homes for all my extra teenage roosters...

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom