xxx bear

gaberdeen

Songster
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Byram, NJ
I had just gone to bed about 8:30 last night. About 9pm my stepson bursts through the bedroom door shouting that a bear is attacking the chickens! Thankfully we scared it off before it could get any of them but it did some damage to the coop. (i will post pics later, it's still too dark to take a pic of it) I wouldn't have expected a bear as I live in the middle of a very congested neighborhood ( My chickens are hidden in a corner of my yard which no neighbors can see). Just goes to show you that you never know what is wandering around in the dark.
ep.gif

From the rules:
1. Remember this is a family board no swearing / foul language and no inappropriate "Adult" topics.

Last edited by a moderator:
WOW
ep.gif
, you may want to notify Animal Control, just to give them a heads up that it is around. Could you imagin if someone was just getting home to find it lurking around their house? Could be bad.
hide.gif

OMG!!!!

I think I would have had a heart attack!!!
ep.gif
I agree with calling animal control because that's not a good thing having a bear in a neighboorhood!!

Good Luck!!
Missi

Hopefully it has been a bad experience for the bear. Once they discover a readily availible food source, the feed or maybe even the birds, they are hard to discourage! Good Luck!

frow.gif
I think you'd be surprised to know just how many bear there are in NJ. I used to hunt Pa, and Pa is loaded as well. Since he did'nt get any of your chickens, does'nt mean he wont be back. I'd put up an electric fence around 'em. Bare wire on insulators, with a stripped extension cord attatched, hot side only, so "he" becomes the ground. Just a thought. good luck.
idunno.gif

I used to work for the park service, spent most of my time chasing bears here in NJ. I did notify the local PD but they said not much they can do other than drive through the neighborhood. I also don't want to tip off anyone about my chickens.

Hey Gaber.... I used to live in your neck of the woods, right on Lackawanna Drive across from Lake Lackawana. We used to have a huge problem with raccoons in the garbage, so I kept a broomstick next to the back door. One night I heard the cans go over (for the second time that night) and I grabbed my stick and went charging out the door, fully intent on whackin' a big ol' coon in the butt just like I did about an hour previously.

Well.... I went charging out the screen door, planted my first foot on the asphalt outside the door, did the most awkward pirouette and then dove headfirst through the door, stick and all.

I had burst out the door, face to face, UNDER THREE FEET away from the biggest ol' black bear I've ever seen. I'm STILL not sure who was more scared.

To make matters worse, I ended up sticking my head out the door, and throwing something at her to encourage her to go away. RIGHT BEHIND THE DOOR, there was two cubs I couldn't see in the dark. Well.... Mamma just ambled on up the mountain, and the two cubs followed obediently...

And I vowed never to go charging out the door in the dark again.
lol.png

gaberdeen, we've had bears come through our parking lot in the compex of buildings off of 206 north which includes Cone's by Design Ice Cream Store. Across from the old Tony and Rose Mary's. Good luck Keystonepaul

Back
Top Bottom