y did the chickens cross the road?

Good Gracious! Cornish X does NOT mean death at the age of 12 weeks!!! Come on people! Mine is almost a year old and he still flies over 3-4 feet up to get onto the roost. With those legs, I say Cornish X. They wont live as long as your other birds, but they arent always going to kill over in a few weeks. I dont even limit the food to mine. I have White Rocks as well and they are 13 weeks old but not that fat for sure. My Cornish X though was huge by that time. They look like a pair of Cornish X to me.

Would you rather the person not pay attention to them in fear that they will die or treat them great and have them live an awesome life before they die?

Last edited:
No it doesn't mean they will fall over dead at 12 weeks, but it might mean a fantastic dinner.
duc.gif

Are the cornish x harvested young, or are they not healthy? This might be a problem because the chickens are in a school garden!

It's just that the older they get the tougher they are.
big_smile.png
I know of a bird that lived to the ripe old age of 18months and grew to be enormous.
smile.png

I have a love-hate relationship with CornishX.
I love having them in my freezer and cooking with something we raised ourselves.
I hate going out their to check on them because I am afraind one will be dead. Mine just occasionally keel over dead. I guess I'm not doing something right. I don't have the knack that theOEGBman has. I can't wait until they are old enough to butcher.

I definitely dont have a knack,lol. I just let him grown and eat whatever he wants! Not all of them will survive, but Drumstick is doing a good job at it! If they were on a busy road, I would say they probably fell off a meat truck going to slaughter. They wont be very tasty if you dont butcher them at a younger age, but if you want pets then feed them and see where it goes. Cornish X's are by far the sweetest birds I've ever owned!

He said when he found them, they were just going through that stage were they lose their chick feathers.
How are Cornish X for eggs? That's what we want in our school garden. We will be donating the eggs to a soup kitchen.
could they be White Orpingtons?
Good thing I check the pets everyday before school starts. If they keel over I better hide them in the fridge before any one cries over the chickies!!

Back
Top Bottom