Ya I'm new... question! Okay in City but not in subdivision.

Quote:
Our city ordinance reads just like yours. I live in the 'burbs on about 1/4 acre. My yard is fenced and right now 1:00pm my chickens are probably out mowing the grass. I keep their coop clean so the smell won't bother the neighbors. It's a working class neighborhood so everyone is up about 6:00 which is probably why no one has complained about the roo's (2). Had one that insisted on crowing at 4:00 am. He got invited to the BBQ Sunday
big_smile.png
. It all depends on what chance you are planning to take and how laid back your neighbors are.

Ummm interresting!

Just called the city office, the lady there said "So long as they are kept in your backyard, under your control and not causing a nuicense with your neighbors there are no problems. If in fact someone complained, the city would ask me to get rid of the loud hen, or clean up/take care of the smell etc"

She said nothing about particular neighborhoods or CC&Rs.
I think I'm good to go!

Quote:
The folks who work in town/city/county/state offices are frequently clueless regarding chickens, not because they are dumb, because they don't have all the info. If you signed any piece of paper stating the part in bold above, you have a problem that needs to be thoroughly researched. As for the nosey neighbor? If you are legally cleared, too bad for her. If you aren't and you do it anyway? Yikes.

Home Owners Assoc can be awful - why I live in the country.

You can do a couple of things - Do the whole stealth approach and have the steathy coop, get those Rock speakers and place them around the yard and play music or get your kids a drum set and let them play out doors.

Now the neighbor is a founding member of the axis of evil then no matter what you do will change her opinion - can you plant Privacy hedges? There are always those people. Are you prepared to invite the chickens to live in your bathroom in the case she tries to oust your flock and remake the coop to look like a trash can holder.

How are you at bluffing?

Chickens? Really? hmmmm wonders never cease....

When I grew up in San Jose, CA we lived next door to the Axis of evil lady and several neighors had chickens seriously she was surrounded by them. She had the MOST annoying samoiyed dog who NEVER STOPPED BARKING but she was more concerned about my mothers cats and our puppies which I raised for 4-H and showed. We always had homes for them and she always threatened us with animal control all the time - and We kept the yard clean, the animals quiet, the cats indoors. We did not have chickens but wanted them all around us were 6-7 neighbors who had underground chickens. I always thought it was funny she never knew. I used to house sit for the neighbors and cared for these steathly chickens. We also had a local farmer willing to take the Roosters... Someone posted an ingenius coop design that looked like a planters bench made from pallets. If you must be stealthy and underground you will have to take extreme measures and be willing to accept the consequences like limiting the number of chickens and having to hide them out from time to time and invite her to a garden party once in a while so she can see there are no coops in the yard and the other neighbors temporarily hiding their birds so if the subject came up you had plausible denyabilitybb- the stuff that went on in that subdivision was wacky. Bunch of crazed IBM'ers in south San Jose. It was a riot and the Axis of evil lady was never the wiser!

Good Luck

Caroline

Quote:
Whenever I read any of the posts I always wait with anticipation to see what Sonora Silkies is going to say. She is the resident expert! I say that with the up most respect.
frow.gif

I'm like you!! she is very well informed & well versed on the laws & ordinances! I definitely pay attention to her.
caf.gif

Back
Top Bottom