YAHIT (Yet Another Hen Integration Thread) - But different question :)

mikewcgy

In the Brooder
Dec 27, 2020
Hi BYC,
There are some great pre-existing threads regarding hen integration that I am just trying to absorb like crazy. Definitely like the sound of the 'introduce them at night, accepted in the morning' and thinking we might try that but also going to do some exposure in a "can see but can't touch" type setup first. I haven't seen an answer to one particular question though and so wanted to raise it.

Essentially we've got several hatches worth of hens we are raising that are currently living separately from the main flock. The eldest group are just about coming to the age where they will be ready to start laying, but there are only 2 left (we sold some chicks). There are another 5 hens though that they are living with who are ~22 days behind in age. I guess my question is, would it be easier for us to integrate the 2 first, and then the remaining 5 after? Or would it be best to wait until all 7 are ready to go and do it in one fell swoop?

We have had rooster drama lately which is causing me some anxiety about this upcoming integration but we need to free up the space for our meat chickens and another 2 hatches worth of laying hens.

Any advice welcome!

Definitely like the sound of the 'introduce them at night, accepted in the morning'
Except that doesn't really work. It takes MONTHS for a hen to be completely accepted and integrated into the flock.

Define "rooster drama".

All 7 at once. A 22 day difference in age at POL pullets is not significant for integration.
Definitely do the "look, don't touch" method for at least a week. Then allow the flocks to free range together if possible.

Definitely like the sound of the 'introduce them at night, accepted in the morning' and thinking we might try that
Sometimes integration goes so smoothly you wonder what all the fuss was about. Sometimes chickens die. Sometimes it is as easy as putting them together, sometimes it is a lot more work. There are a lot of variables involved. To me the two biggest are the individual personalities and room. Not just square feet of room but the quality of the room. Can weaker ones get away from aggressive ones? When I integrate into the same coop it is pretty common to find the younger ones on the roosts while the older ones are on the coop floor. My roosts are high enough that the older ones can't just peck them.

but also going to do some exposure in a "can see but can't touch" type setup first.
I really like the sound of this. I don't know what your coop and runs look like or how you do the see but don't touch but I don't lock mine in the main coop together until they have all shared a run for a few weeks first. With my set-up and my goals it is easy for me to do this. I've never had issues when I lock them in there together but I'm down there when they wake up to open the pop door and let them out until I'm comfortable there won't be a lot of issues. With mine that's usually once or twice.

Essentially we've got several hatches worth of hens we are raising that are currently living separately from the main flock. The eldest group are just about coming to the age where they will be ready to start laying, but there are only 2 left (we sold some chicks). There are another 5 hens though that they are living with who are ~22 days behind in age.
I like to have my pullets with the main flock before they start to lay. That way they can watch the older hens and learn how to do that. I have fewer issues about them not laying in nests and such when the older hens can teach them. I still get occasional start-of-egg-laying drama but it's less when they are already with the flock. I typically integrate the pullets at 12 weeks of age.

I guess my question is, would it be easier for us to integrate the 2 first, and then the remaining 5 after? Or would it be best to wait until all 7 are ready to go and do it in one fell swoop?
I don't know what your facilities look like or the ages of your pullets. Either one should work. I don't know how hard it would be to merge the two younger groups first and integrate them together. I don't think it really matters. I do not like integrating a single chicken, they often (usually) aren't allowed to hang with the older hens and keep to themselves. They are a lot less lonely if they have a buddy to hang with. But as long as they have one buddy they should be OK.

The way I read this you are going to be doing two integrations no matter how you go about it. I like to minimize the number of integrations but I don't see how you can do that. I'd try it the way that is most convenient for you.

I too, would add all 7 at one time.

Do look at your run, is there hide outs? Are there roosts, platforms, sawhorses, boxes, mini walls in your run? Multiple fee bowls, set up so that a bird eating at one station, cannot see a bird eating at another. Many people have a wide open run, where as a bird can see all of the other birds all of the time.

Another trick that I have had very good success with, is to lock the hens out of the run/coop and lock the chicks in the coop/run. This is very helpful if you cannot set up a see no touch situation. This allows the chicks to explore the new place without being chased and harassed. Let the big girls in as close to dark as you can. The urge to fight is about equal as the urge to roost.

Mrs K

Thanks everyone for the insights in the replies.

For those of you who talked about adding different ages at the same time - how do you deal with the difference in feed? The instructions we got from the hatchery originally told us to stay on grower feed basically until they start laying. So, if we merged them together then the younger ones would be switching early. Is this not a big deal?

Also, our isolation box turned "look but don't touch" facilitator does indeed fit inside the coop, however, is there any reason to be concerned for the fact that at night, the box is on the ground? I understand social standing can be impacted by height of roost with the higher ranking hens and roosters on the top perches... maybe i'm over thinking this

Thanks everyone for the insights in the replies.

For those of you who talked about adding different ages at the same time - how do you deal with the difference in feed?
I feed everybody the same feed but offer oyster shell on the side. The ones that need it for the egg shells seem to know it and the others don't eat enough oyster shell to damage themselves.

I understand social standing can be impacted by height of roost with the higher ranking hens and roosters on the top perches... maybe i'm over thinking this
Yep, overthinking it. It's not that where they roost that determines social ranking, the higher in the pecking order determine where they will roost. That's almost always on the highest spots available, whether that is perches, shelves, or something else. The rest make do with what is left. That does not affect their standing in the pecking order, the pecking order determines that. When they mature enough to make their way higher in the pecking order they will adjust where they sleep.

Nothing to worry about.

For those of you who talked about adding different ages at the same time - how do you deal with the difference in feed? The instructions we got from the hatchery originally told us to stay on grower feed basically until they start laying. So, if we merged them together then the younger ones would be switching early. Is this not a big deal?
With mixed ages, feed everyone whatever the youngest ones are eating. Starter is perfectly fine for older chicks or hens.

Back
Top Bottom