Yard clippings?

Danny C.

Songster
Jan 10, 2018
Mowed my yard this morning for first time of the year. Had area with a lot of leaves and others mainly green grass. Bagged separately.
So, put both separated on plastic Tupperware lid and watched. Wow! They dug into both but saw them eating grass just like lettuce and scratching through leaves pecking.
Understand natural to look for seeds and bugs and they seem to really dig it.
Did I do anything harmful or rewarded them and found some cheap food?

We mow w/o a bagger and slowly work our way towards the runs with the ejection shooting all of that cuttings etc bombarding the run. The chickens don't seem to mind the noise and confusion of the loud mower sound as they scramble and try to attack every single thing cast-ted in their path. It's a crazy site to see.

Last edited:
I have a small flock (3) that I keep in a chicken tractor (mobile coop). Eating grass/clover/etc. is a natural part of their diet and they peck at the plants (and any bugs/worms) they find. Make sure they have access to grit to help break down this type of food as they can run into serious problems without it.

I have a small flock (3) that I keep in a chicken tractor (mobile coop). Eating grass/clover/etc. is a natural part of their diet and they peck at the plants (and any bugs/worms) they find. Make sure they have access to grit to help break down this type of food as they can run into serious problems without it.
Thanks, I do have sand that is the bottom of the quail pen. They love the dusting of course as well. So grit I got.

Definitely you would want to add grass and other greens to their diet. For example, my quail love eating dandelion leaves and purslane (which grows as a weed in the rocky areas of my yard)

And then for veggies that we can buy regularly, I chop up lettuce or cabbage into smaller bits for them to eat, too.

They also like mustard green which is easy to grow in the yard.

Back
Top Bottom