yard full of feathers... 7 missing chickens

OkieDave

In the Brooder
9 Years
Feb 18, 2010
Tulsa/Skiatook Lake
Came home last nite and found my fav rooster laying in the driveway near the gate. 1/4 mile long driveway. when I got to the yard, there were feathers everywhere. 7 out of 21 chickens missing. found another rooster this morn when it was light. my neighbors dog has been trying to hang around and play with my dog. I have been chasing him away because i knew this would happen. now I'll have to shoot him when I see him again. these were arucana-banties that are descendents of chickens I had when I was in college. 35 years ago. I love dogs but I hate a chicken killer. this neighbor is also my tenant, and friend.

bummer deal! Sorry for your loss
sad.png

oh I am so sorry 35 years is a long time to be raising birds and must have been devestating to loose some descendents.

If the dog is your tenants why not make him walk it on a leash or fence it before shooting it? Also it is best to make sure it was that dog and that you dont have a stray or something else lurking around.

pretty sure it was that dog because he has been playing more and more with my dog and coming down to my house and I have been throwing rocks at him to make him go home and the one rooster was all the way up the drive right behind his house. they don't go that far on their own. also, my dog will chase away any varmints or dogs that he doesn't know. my dog is a Pyranese and he thinks its his duty to keep everything away.

I am very sorry for your loss and am sure you care deeply about your birds, so I hope you set up some ground rules in order for your neighbor to keep his dog. He may be unaware that there is a problem, and as you've had instances of throwing rocks at the dog, you owe it to him to tell him.
My dogs don't run free, but we had one instance where my husband left open the side gate after a day of moving building materials through it with the truck. We were totally unaware of this until a neighbor girl two houses down came over in the evening to tell us our dogs were in her yard. You can bet we were on that like stink and were very grateful that she told us instead of taking other action. We had no idea that the gate was open (my husband should have been aware, but he spaced it) and I then added it to the list of things I check up on during the day when I'm home, and at night. I was appalled that my dogs were out---they could have hurt another animal, caused damage, or been killed by traffic.
I think the guy needs to know what happened, that you believe it to be his dog, and that the dog needs to be contained, or you will take action to protect what is yours.

I think things will be better. I taiked to the guy and he was very sorry and has the dog inside a fence now. he is a country guy so he understands. this property is pretty isolated. my nearest neighbor is this tenant who is 1/4 mi from me. my chickens have been partly confined but free several days per week. often let them out at noon and close them up at night. last summer there was a coyote who nabbed a few before my dog got the idea he is supposed to guard them. lost quite a few babies last summer to snakes.

hit.gif
OH HOW AWFUL!!! Must've been my neighbors dogs.
somad.gif
You either live near me.or having the same trouble as I. But I sure do hope you have better luck with your neighbor than I am having with my neighbor.
fl.gif

now this totally blows my mind. my tenant with the dog told me there was a hen and rooster hanging around up at his place. he said they've been there for several days. sure enough, one of my hens and rooster are there. there's only one way they could be that far away. the dog had to have carried them and let them go. amazing he didn't kill them. beforehe killed the others the other day, there had been a couple hens and a roo living outside the coop. he must have taken them home for company. i imagine he was only playing when he killed the ones he got. anyhow, i am totally surprised.
lol.png

Back
Top Bottom