Yay I got goats!*Pics added*

If you can set up a draft guard in the three sided and install a couple heat lamps (so they can share)...she'll likely kid under the lamp and be fine. I would not separate or move her...very stressful.

It's 19 degrees here now - cold for GA! We have kids in the winter all the time. We bring the does in the barn with heat lamps and haven't had any frozen kids. We have had one get slight frosty ears...but got her warm quickly enough that it wasn't bad and did no permanent damage.

I can build something L-shaped with pallets, and maybe stuff the gaps with straw? You can kind of see the barn in one of the pics. I'll do my best to be there when she kids, hopefully she won't make me spend a week outside every night!

celebrate.gif
Congratulations Cara! They are beautiful! I will be watching for your post announcing the birth of their kids…
wink.png
With pictures!

smile.png
Mitzi

Hey, I am going to buy her other goat, Sandy, and maybe a kid!!!!
big_smile.png
Thanks for the information. I will pick her up in Feb. when I will have space available in my good corrals (the horses go back out to the field).

sandy.jpg

I am going to have to rename her - there are two Sandys in my family already.

The plan is to fence a nice sized goat paddock & chicken free range area this summer around the backside of my hay barn. Our old neighbor almost burned our barn down one year with an out of control burn - flames lapped right up to the side of the barn. If my husband hadn't of just mowed that area, it would have all been gone by the time the firefighters got there. So I will be *more* than glad to have permanent weed control in that area.

The due date is either tomorrow or the 29th Jan. She's dripping a little bit of milk, so i'm hoping tomorrow. We'll see though
tongue.png
She suddenly looks huge today. Fingers crossed for a doe and a buck. If not i'll probably be making another trip to CO.

Do you know if Sandy is Rose's mother? They look so alike, and I can't remember.

Well, that's a bit of a spread on the due date! Tomorrow????? I'd be
ep.gif
wigging.

I don't know if Sandy is Rose's mother. We will have to find out. Sandy is bred to a sable buck for an April kid - would that be the same buck your doe is bred to?

Yes, Dizzy and Rose are bred to the same one. He's a handsome all black fellow. She has the coolest looking Saanen buck. He has a quiff like Elvis and sideburns. They're both pretty stinky though!

Dizzy came into heat 2 weeks after she was bred. They thought it was probably a false heat but re-bred her just in case. So if nothing happens this week, I can breathe a sigh of relief until the end of the month. I've been in and out all evening checking on Dizzy, but so far nothing. Her belly looks a different shape today though, it's a lot bigger.

Rose went crazy yesterday, i'm not sure if maybe she's not bred and in heat. She was running all over the place springing around.

Back
Top Bottom