Yay or nay, floor of run to keep it dry?

adeechickluv

Songster
9 Years
Mar 23, 2010
Portland, Oregon
Ok, so I'm assembling the coop and we are planning a roof to the run. I have grass in my backyard right now and intend to let them free range when I'm around. My run is 4'x6'. I'm thinking of digging up that area (keeping the dirt) and putting a layer of sand down. Then putting all the dirt back ontop. I live in Oregon which means there's rain ALL the time! I'm hoping this will keep the run dry? Yay or nay?
Thanks
Adrienne

Let the chickens dig it up for you, then lay the sand. Less work.
big_smile.png

Covered run for sure. Make sure the grade around the run goes away from it or build a drainage ditch around the run to divert water away.

The chickens will clear the grass out pretty quickly. Then you can add the sand. I have sand in my run, too (it's also covered) and I love it. Poo just seems to disappear!

I don't have dirt over the top. Just a couple inches of sand. It has to be replenished a couple times a year, but it doesn't cost much so I don't really mind. I just buy kids play sand at Home Depot.

You obviously get more rain in Oregon than we do here in MN, so unsure if you will want to put a sub-layer of something down first (like gravel or something between the dirt and the sand layers) to ensure a dry run. In my climate, the sand right over dirt has worked out just fine. The grade in my yard slopes away from the run and it has never been wet.

Hopefully someone with some more experience can chime in.

I have a "roofed run" pretty much the same size pen. First of all...don't dig anything...goodness sakes...they will do that in a matter of days for you!
wink.png
Secondly, sand sounds good...although I've never used it. I love using hay or straw...about once I month I toss in some fresh and they LOVE scratching though it and by the end of the month they've churned it all back into the dirt for me! It keeps their feet nice & dry and up off the dirt(for most of the month)...which also keeps them cleaner! It keeps the ground built up nice and high...allows great drainage! I've had a completely FLOODED side yard...but NEVER a flooded muddy coop using this method! I've also NEVER had to clean the run!!! Plus they look clean & neat! Anyway, some people will say no b/c of mold issues...that has never been a problem ever..b/c they are constantly churning it into the dirt..it's not just laying on top. Hope this helps!
big_smile.png

If you are still in the planning stages, now is the time to address moisture/wet runs. Many have different opinions. The soil in my area hold a lot of clay and therefore does not percolate very quickly. For me, I lined the perimeter of the run with cinder blocks, then filled the interior of the run with #89 screened rock (1/4" screen) from a local quarry ($24) then topped the rock with landscape cloth, then topped it off with 3-4" of sand.

I have ZERO moisture problems, unlimited supply of grit, the ability to rake the sand to always keep it clean (think kitty litter scoop), and ZERO ammonia smells from decomposting poo; excess food (pellets, mash or crumbles) are always pecked clean by the birds from the sand floor which means very little food waste. The poo is dehaydrated almost instantaneously.

The sand also gives unlimited play as the chickens LOVE to rolls in it.

When the run gets a little dusty, a quick spray with the hose takes care of that and within 2-3 minutes, the floor is dry all over again.

53005_p1230839.jpeg

53005_p1230833.jpeg

I added a roof to my second run because I liked my other roofed run so well. I have sand in both runs, because it is ridiculously easy to keep clean (kitty litter scoop) and the chickens love scratching around in it.

Keeping things dry is the key to having no smell. I'd worry about wet hay getting mouldy and smelly in a run that isn't roofed, and I wouldn't want to have the job of clearing out all that wet hay and putting down fresh when it rains.

Last winter I did open a bag of alfalfa hay to give my flock something to do when they were confined in their run all day and not able to be in their tractor out in the yard. It was messy to get rid of after they were done with it, and that's not something I plan to do the rest of the year.

Back
Top Bottom