yeah - another newbie question

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by navasima, Aug 29, 2011.

1. navasima

navasima Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    My intention was to have 3-5 laying hens and a nice supply of fresh eggs. Well, my 4 little girls are 5 weeks old now and growing happily.

My 3 little 8-9 week old Silkies are growing happily as well. ...guessing that I have at least one roo... I would like to consider allowing Silkie chicks to hatch.

Must I have seperate coops? Can I just pull the LF eggs?

(BTW - if I understand correctly...according to chicken math: the 4 littles don't count - they are chicks, not chickens; silkies are bantams and therefore little and so 3 count for 1 1/2 chickens and none of them are laying yet anyway, so they don't count...so I can get 3-5 more chickens and still not exceed my original limit of 3-5! Right?!)

2. kinsey228

kinsey228 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2011
    Chesterville, Maine
    As long as you only have one roo, you don't need need separate coops. I like your math, by the way ! My limit of 6 pullets has become 20 pullets and 1 roo ! [​IMG]

3. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    I'd better rephrase - so if the only roos (really want to keep the original 3 no matter what they turn out to be if I can [​IMG]) that I have are Silkies, then I should be good - yes? Pulling the LF eggs and letting the bantam size get hatched would be okay?

4. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Halloooo out there?

5. sfw2

sfw2 Global Menace

That makes sense, yes. And for a newbie, you've demonstrated a good understanding of chicken math! Although, bantams are really only about 1/3 the size of large fowl, so you could have nine bantams, and still only have three chickens. [​IMG]

You're gonna do just fine! [​IMG]

6. mandelyn

mandelyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2009
    Goshen, OH
    Yup, if Silkies are the only boys, then silkie girls will lay a pure egg. But take the eggs from them until they go broody, otherwise they'll sit there and go bad.

7. navasima

Aug 6, 2011
    New Mexico
    Thanks for the input! Fingers crossed!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by