yeah - another newbie question

navasima

Songster
8 Years
Aug 6, 2011
New Mexico
My intention was to have 3-5 laying hens and a nice supply of fresh eggs. Well, my 4 little girls are 5 weeks old now and growing happily.

My 3 little 8-9 week old Silkies are growing happily as well. ...guessing that I have at least one roo... I would like to consider allowing Silkie chicks to hatch.

Must I have seperate coops? Can I just pull the LF eggs?

(BTW - if I understand correctly...according to chicken math: the 4 littles don't count - they are chicks, not chickens; silkies are bantams and therefore little and so 3 count for 1 1/2 chickens and none of them are laying yet anyway, so they don't count...so I can get 3-5 more chickens and still not exceed my original limit of 3-5! Right?!)

As long as you only have one roo, you don't need need separate coops. I like your math, by the way ! My limit of 6 pullets has become 20 pullets and 1 roo !
lau.gif

I'd better rephrase - so if the only roos (really want to keep the original 3 no matter what they turn out to be if I can
hmm.png
) that I have are Silkies, then I should be good - yes? Pulling the LF eggs and letting the bantam size get hatched would be okay?

That makes sense, yes. And for a newbie, you've demonstrated a good understanding of chicken math! Although, bantams are really only about 1/3 the size of large fowl, so you could have nine bantams, and still only have three chickens.
hu.gif

You're gonna do just fine!
gig.gif

Yup, if Silkies are the only boys, then silkie girls will lay a pure egg. But take the eggs from them until they go broody, otherwise they'll sit there and go bad.

Back
Top Bottom