Yeah! Easy way to eliminate food waste!

USAmma

Songster
10 Years
Jul 26, 2009
I have been trying different things learned on this forum. I am aware that one of the members makes a great PVC pipe feeder, too. But here's my solution. I have one of these cheap feeders with the jar attached. And I put it in a cheap dog bowl I bought from Walmart that it fits into exactly. Very similar to this one. The quail have to bend down to get the food, and none of it is scattered or scratched out. None. They are able to reach it okay, too. I have been using this for about 1.5 weeks now and thrilled that I have figured out a solution to the problem.

just like that one

Yeah mine were making a huuuuge mess with the regular feeders too. They were somehow dumping half of it out those tiny holes, I don't even know how! I put a disposable pie plate beneath it. The edge is about the same height as the feeder and about 1-2" out from the edge. Almost no waste now.

I've been using the long feeders for a long time with no waste. My trick is to only fill halfway to the top so they can't flick feed out. I even cut them down to about eight inches with my saw for smaller cages.

I think I'd have to feed those hourly or have a lot of them to keep up with mine though. Especially the babies, they eat and grow so fast. The gravity feeders automatically get them higher to the edge. :(

I think I'd have to feed those hourly or have a lot of them to keep up with mine though. Especially the babies, they eat and grow so fast. The gravity feeders automatically get them higher to the edge. :(
I have two of the feeders I mentioned for 17 adult hens, and I only have to fill once a day (and they are not even all the way empty).

They still scratch the ground in front of the bowls when I feed them by instinct. It's funny to watch.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom