Yeah the first egg!!!

tia

Crowing
14 Years
Apr 19, 2009
Valdez, Alaska
My duck laid her first egg this morning. There are 7 of them, and I have no idea which one it was!!! I am so excited!!! This is a first for me!!! (for my duck too) It was like a little gift this morning..... (I'm obviously not a farm girl) I called my son screaming my duck laid and egg - he said "What did you think was going to happen mom?" : )

Tia

The first egg in MID-DECEMBER??! That so amazing, you are WAY up north aren't you?
What does everyone else think, is this kinda unusual?
You couldn't be getting many hours of sunlight, your girl must have some pretty strong laying abilities!! *she says jealously*
Congratulations!!
Are they Khaki Campbells? How old are they?
Sometimes I think I should try to get eggs from all the great layers I hear about like yours, to try to build a super-laying flock.

I am in Alaska and a bit surprised, but the ducks are inside most of the time and have a light on during the daytime. They hatched out at the end of July, so I was thinking it might be a bit longer or springtime before I saw any eggs. I was pleasantly surprised. : ) I can't understand why my friends, family, and neighbors aren't as delighted as me. I guess you wonderful people on here are the only ones that understand me! : )

Tia

Risking this being my third post yeeek, don't shout at me. This news is just GREAT. We are still waiting but I'm feeling one may come soon. But yaaaaaaaaaaayyy for you. You must be so proud!! They are little geniuses aren't they? I mean I think it's terribly clever of them. I would have no idea where to start lol.
xxxxxxxxxooooooooooxxxxxxxxxx
extra hugs to your little egg layer!

The light would explain it! I've read not to extend their hours of light per day more than 14 hours with artificial light. I can't remember why that's a problem with alreading laying hens, but I know I've read warnings that stimulating young hens into laying too soon could cause prolapse immediately or down the road. A Runner starting at that age is within normal range I think, they are good layers, maybe when you have seven eggs per day to share with these folks it will begin to register how remarkable it is!

I get mixed reactions from people when I talk about my ducks, some are really happy for me and others act like I'm telling them about about doing laundry. To me its like a miracle every time! Sometimes I wonder if some of the joy is tied in with our maternal instincts, but I know there are plenty of men who really appreciate what these birds can do.

Priss I'm sorry but you may be waiting for your eggs until early spring - Calls are definately seasonal layers. But what they lack in eggs they make up for in friendliness, true?

Congrats! I am waiting VERY patiently for my Cocoa to lay. She is 22 weeks old and I am really really hoping that an egg comes even though winter is here.
fl.gif

I hope she lays soon. I got another egg this morning, but this one is bluish green. I imagine it is from another duck. I have 3 black runners and 4 fawn/white runners. The eggs are pretty small. Are runner duck eggs always small. The ones I incubated to get these ducks seem to be larger than chicken eggs. I think these are smaller.

Tia

I don't think runner eggs are normally small. One of nettie's runners lays eggs slightly bigger than large size chicken eggs. Her other runner lays eggs that are much bigger.

Your eggs are probably just small because your duck still hasn't gotten the hang of laying eggs yet.

Back
Top Bottom