Year-old Cayuga duck won't lay

Beau Claverie

In the Brooder
Jul 16, 2017
Hi everyone, I'm hoping someone might have some answers because the internet and our vet so far have no answers for me on this topic. We have a Cayuga that is a year old now and has not laid at all. We have seven ducks including two drakes. All of our ducks are decent layers who get plenty of free time, food/water, stress-free, and lots of love. Rosie our cayuga who we've had since a day old just simply won't lay. She's never shown signs of egg binding or any other issue really. From the look of it I would say she's a very healthy girl. Anyone ever dealt with this before?

How do you know she's not laying? Have you separated her from the others or marked vents and determined that she's not giving you any eggs?

What do you feed? Do they get around 14 hours of sunlight each day?

How do you know she's not laying? Have you separated her from the others or marked vents and determined that she's not giving you any eggs?

What do you feed? Do they get around 14 hours of sunlight each day?
Yes we have. Rosie is our only cayuga anyway and cayugas lay black eggs. No black eggs ever. We have also had them apart and seen who is laying and she most certainly is not. We feed them layer feed with a supplement of brewers yeast for niacin and garlic, as well as oyster shells. They all live outside in the coop that is sunlit, and they have certain hours of free roaming during the day to swim and play and get love from us.

Not all cayugas lay black eggs :) Only ones from good lines that have been bred for that trait. Hatchery cayugas might just lay regular white eggs.

Feed sounds fine, so that isn't the issue. There's always the possibility that she somehow damaged her ovary and can't produce eggs, or that she was just born sterile for some reason.

Back
Top Bottom