Year Old Chicken Stopped Walking! Please Help!

If you find a place that does free or really cheap necropsies, please post it here!!! I'm in Indiana, and ended up driving an hour away and paying almost $100 to have a little roo necropsied.
sad.png
Sorry you lost your poor hen...

Billyb, keep her refrigerated while you work out the necropsy arrangements. They won't take a frozen bird.

If you can find a phone number for the Ohio state poultry lab, they will be able to help. I was able to get mine to the lab by taking my hen to the local health department. They sent it to the state lab via courier service. $8 for the courier service. $50 for the necropsy. $25 for some additional tests. And even though the answer was bad news for me (Marek's), at least now I don't second guess myself when one gets sick. With one chicken, it could be anything. A previous poster (alawson12) sounds very suspicious for Marek's.

E

If you find a place that does free or really cheap necropsies, please post it here!!!  I'm in Indiana, and ended up driving an hour away and paying almost $100 to have a little roo necropsied. :(   Sorry you lost your poor hen...

Ido t believe I'm going to do it because I already froze my hen. And now they won't take frozen birds I heard. Sorry! And thank you!

Billyb, keep her refrigerated while you work out the necropsy arrangements. They won't take a frozen bird.

If you can find a phone number for the Ohio state poultry lab, they will be able to help. I was able to get mine to the lab by taking my hen to the local health department. They sent it to the state lab via courier service. $8 for the courier service. $50 for the necropsy. $25 for some additional tests. And even though the answer was bad news for me (Marek's), at least now I don't second guess myself when one gets sick. With one chicken, it could be anything. A previous poster (alawson12) sounds very suspicious for Marek's.

E

Thanks for the info. But I already froze my hen... So I guess that's out but that's okay. I am almost positive she had mareks disease. All the symptoms point towards that. You noted that your one bird was positive for mareks. So what do you do if one of your hens come down ill?

My husband culls when they are suffering. Before we knew it was Marek's, we tried to save them. Tube feeding, heat, etc. It was really hard to keep them adequately hydrated.

My cockerel is showing signs now. Limping. Not sure what I will do about him. For now, leaving him alone, but I think he is getting worse.

My husband culls when they are suffering. Before we knew it was Marek's, we tried to save them. Tube feeding, heat, etc. It was really hard to keep them adequately hydrated.

My cockerel is showing signs now. Limping. Not sure what I will do about him. For now, leaving him alone, but I think he is getting worse.
Now, you too at this time.
hugs.gif

Sorry to hear! Hoping for a good outcome.

Back
Top Bottom