Year old hen has open scabbed wound on hip and is limping.Help!!!

It looks like a fairly large scab. Can you try soaking it in a betadine solution until you can work some or all of it off?
What I’m concerned about is if she’s limping because the wound is deeper and nastier than we realize. I can’t begin to imagine how she got it though.. I would assume it’s a very old wound.

@Eggcessive, does that look like pus at the lower left by Lukie's thumb? And Lukie, if you cup your palm over it, does it feel hot, is it radiating heat? Odor, pus like cheese and heat would all indicate infection to me.

It looks like a fairly large scab. Can you try soaking it in a betadine solution until you can work some or all of it off?
What I’m concerned about is if she’s limping because the wound is deeper and nastier than we realize. I can’t begin to imagine how she got it though.. I would assume it’s a very old wound.
What originally happened is she started to limp a little, about August 24, and we thought it was her left leg so we bandaged it and wrapped it. But then we later realized about a day later that she had wounds on both of her hips and then on sunday I realized she was limping and that's when I saw it this bad. Its 9pm so tomorrow I will do what you say to do and where can I get this betadine stuff?

Wounds on both hips is curious.
If you free range, I would wonder if she escaped a predator as well.
If not, are there any enclosed spaces that she could’ve gotten wedged in and injured the sides of her body on? Chickens can wound themselves in crazy stupid ways.

If it was a predator or some kind of crushing/restriction injury from getting stuck, it might explain her limp. Maybe her hip socket was damaged and the femur joint is out of place.

Wounds on both hips is curious.
If you free range, I would wonder if she escaped a predator as well.
If not, are there any enclosed spaces that she could’ve gotten wedged in and injured the sides of her body on? Chickens can wound themselves in crazy stupid ways.

If it was a predator or some kind of crushing/restriction injury from getting stuck, it might explain her limp. Maybe her hip socket was damaged and the femur joint is out of place.
If that is the case as in her femur and hip joint is out of place, how do we know and how do we fix that. Vet is not an option.

Back
Top Bottom