Year old hen with possible bumble foot, fowlpox and breathing issues.

TheBeardie

Crowing
8 Years
Oct 7, 2014
Florida
I have a hen, well a year on the 22, that is limping and seems to have a sore on the top of her foot, breathing slightly heavy and has some issues with her comb. Fowlpox is starting to go through my standard girls with little difficulty just some sores. She has a white patch that is strange to me. She has no sores in her mouth or throat that I can see, no drainage or discharge and healthy-looking poop. I have already separated her from the rest of the flock. I have nutri-drench, should I give her some? I also have dura-pen, tylan 50 and a relatively well-stocked first-aid kit if needed. How should I help her?

This is her Wednesday.
sick1.jpg

This is her today.
sick2.jpg
sick3.jpg
sick4.jpg

sick5.jpg

Sorry for the bad picture, you can kind of see the sore on the foot on the right.
sick6.jpg

limping and seems to have a sore on the top of her foot, breathing slightly heavy and has some issues with her comb. Fowlpox is starting to go through my standard girls with little difficulty just some sores. She has a white patch that is strange to me.
I have nutri-drench, should I give her some? I also have dura-pen, tylan 50 and a relatively well-stocked first-aid kit if needed. How should I help her?
I'm sorry your hen is not well.

Where to start...let's look at the comb first. By any chance does that wash or rub off? For some reason that does not look like Fowl Pox to me, more it looks like urates - possibly she got pooped on? (it happens)

Now...when is the last time she laid an egg? The breathing slightly heavy is a the most concerning to me. Any bloat, swelling, feeling of fluid in the abdomen? What's her poop look like? What's your weather like? Is her crop empty in the morning before she eats/drinks?

The foot is very hard to see if there's a way to get a better photo that would be helpful. She may be laying down because the foot hurts, but it's hard to know. If there is a sore, then general care would be to soak and clean the foot in espoms salts, betadine or chlorhexidine, then evaluate the sore.

I would give her Nutri-Drench, but wait treating with antibiotics since it's unclear what might be wrong with her.

The more I watch her the more it looks like the limping is the main problem. The spot on the comb is wiping off. It didn't look like fowlpox to me either thats why it was concerning, good thing it was just some urates! The heavy breathing seems to be from the heat and the effort of walking with a limp. I gave her some nutri-drench just a few minutes ago. I will soak her foot when I get someone home to help me deal with her.

I'm not sure the last time she layed was, but probably within the last month. No swelling, her crop is empty in the mornings and it's been pretty hot here in FL. Some late in the day rain happens often.

Here's her last poop she did step in it.
po.jpg

The scab is in between the toes and right next to the scab looks red and irritated.
foot.jpg

I'm glad what's on the comb is wiping off, it does happen from time to time, they get poop on them. Be thankful it wasn't across her back or something like that - yep, happened to one of mine one time, she needed a rinse LOL

When you get some help, soak the foot and gently wash off all the debris, getting the dirt out between the toes on top and on the bottom of the feet too.
Look at the bottom of the feet to make sure there's no bumblefoot there as well.
The main source of swelling I see, looks like the top. After soaking, I would apply triple antibiotic ointment. It would be hard to wrap, but if you are going to put her back with the flock, that may be a good idea. Soak and Check it daily, it may come to a "head" where you can remove some pus. I would be inclined to see if a drawing salve like Prid may be helpful with something like this, but you do have another option to lance the sore to see if you can express a chunk of pus.
upload_2019-9-13_15-35-18.png

Back
Top Bottom