Year old layers and new layers not getting along.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginbart, Oct 18, 2009.

1. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I have some RIR's that are over a year old. They lay in the nesting boxes. Now my pullets that are 7 months are starting to lay. I have 24 boxs for 24 hens. But I think the older hens are not letting the pullets lay in the boxes. I have been finding eggs out side under trees, in a large hole we have for burning. What can I do?????

2. shaggy

shaggy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2009
    Orange, Texas
    i would *guess* kick the older hens out of the pen when you normally let them out to free range and lock the younger ones in until they lay and then let them out

.... just a *guess*

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    I counted 38 chickens in your signature. Sounds like you free-range. That may no longer be accurate or your set-up may restrict some or several may be roosters. Only reason I mention it is that the rule of thumb is 1 nest for 4 hens, so either way, you have a lot more nesting boxes than you need. I seriously doubt the older hens are stopping your pullets from laying in the boxes.

Some people keep their hens locked up in the coop or coop and run until they lay, then let them out to roam. Mine are just as likely to lay just before they go to roost as they are to lay first thing in the morning so that would not work with mine.

I'd suggest locking the pullets in the coop or coop and run for about a week to try to teach them to lay in the nests. Keep fake eggs in the nests to show them where. Maybe if they get in the habit???? I can't think of anything else.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by