Year old rooster cannot stay awake... something wrong?

InLuvWLife

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
Hi, I have a year old Rhode Island Red rooster who is a newer addition to my flock of 9 hens. He looks shiny and healthy, crows well, appears to eat well, mates the hens well. However, I have noticed that in the yard during the day he will simply... fall asleep standing up! His eyes droop, his wings droop, and then he begins to melt down to the ground. Then he will catch himself and wake up. Occasionally he will lay down in the middle of the hens while they dust bathe and pass out for a while. He does this almost constantly these last several days. I have had him for about 3 months now. Is this simply an over worked rooster? Should I be worried? Thanks

There's another section for health problems that you might want to post your question into. You'll probably have a better response there. Sorry I can't answer for you, I know how frustrating that is to not get an answer!

I remember awhile back someone mentioning theirs was doing this and come to find out they had mice that were running around at night and he was awake at night protecting so he had to sleep during the day. I don't know if this is it, just an idea. Tamrajh is right though you might want to post this in the disease section in case this is something else that is harming your rooster, either way it can't hurt. Good luck!

If I had to take on the responsibility of nine hens. Your description of him, I can easily see it fitting me to a T.
smile.png
big_smile.png
wink.png
cool.png

Thanks for the replies! You know, I have noticed an increase in the mouse population this year- there are lots of them in the barn. It may be that. And LOL Reva it is a big job to keep 9 hens happy! I will post this elsewhere and thanks again.

I have a rooster that has been doing that off and on for awhile but recently it's been a lot. Then yesterday I noticed one of his eyes is swollen shut and this morning he was much worse, not eating and very listless and sleepy. My neighbor is a vet so I took him over and she swabbed his ear to look at the stuff under a microscope and sure enough he has a bacterial infection and it looks like he'll only live another day or 2. She said that with birds, once they show signs of being sick, it's almost too late.

Another thing we noticed is that he has mites. This would have caused him some distress. I'd say you should check your birds for mites and then go from there.

Good luck.

WOW thank you those were my rooster's symptoms exactly. Gooey eye, sneezing, raspy breathing. I dusted him for mites, he was covered for sure. This was about 2 weeks ago, and the sweet guy may just recover. I am an herbalist and I started treating him first with medicinal tea from a dropper, than as he improved I cooked the herbs into oatmeal laced with honey.
This morning he is crowing, his eye is open, and he is spunky. Not quite well yet, but better. I hope he makes it. Thanks for sharing your information!!!

Back
Top Bottom