Yeast infection in broody hen

treslilbirds

Songster
Mar 13, 2017
North Mississippi
This morning I pulled my broody barred rock off her eggs so she could go eat and poop. When I stuck my head in the coop to grab her I noticed a very strong yeasty smell. I'm pretty confident this is a yeast infection. I worked at a vet for 10 years and if I've smelled one yeasty skin infection, I've smelled a million. Her underside was pretty red and moist looking (no mites or lice, bedding is clean). I'm not surprised really, given the super hot and humid weather we've had lately. I'm letting her run around right now to help it dry and air out some. I have plenty of antifungals creams and sprays to treat her but I'm wondering more about the eggs. They smelled yeasty too and I'm wondering if I should clean them or leave them alone, and would any cream I put on her be harmful to the unhatched embryo/chicks?

TIA!

This morning I pulled my broody barred rock off her eggs so she could go eat and poop. When I stuck my head in the coop to grab her I noticed a very strong yeasty smell. I'm pretty confident this is a yeast infection. I worked at a vet for 10 years and if I've smelled one yeasty skin infection, I've smelled a million. Her underside was pretty red and moist looking (no mites or lice, bedding is clean). I'm not surprised really, given the super hot and humid weather we've had lately. I'm letting her run around right now to help it dry and air out some. I have plenty of antifungals creams and sprays to treat her but I'm wondering more about the eggs. They smelled yeasty too and I'm wondering if I should clean them or leave them alone, and would any cream I put on her be harmful to the unhatched embryo/chicks?

TIA!
You should treat with monistat as normal. I do not think that will hurt the embryo,

The yeast would not be good for them though. You might want to clean the eggs and put them into an incubator.

Sometimes you can borrow incubators for the local 4-H club.

Back
Top Bottom