Yellow crusty stuff on hens head & neck feathers.

tdstanley43

In the Brooder
Oct 7, 2020
Grovetown,GA
I have about 20 birds, I recently introduced 5 new birds to the flock (2 Rhode Island Reds / 3 Black Australorps). I noticed this last week the new older hens (RIR) have this yellowish substance on their head/neck feathers. It almost looks like hair gel. I noticed yesterday that some of my younger hens re getting the same thing. Ironically the older hens quit laying last friday. Their behavior hasnt changed nor their eating habits and other than egg production they all seem fine. I did have a little bullying when i first got the older hens but that seems to have stopped. I did put two ceramic eggs in the coop when i first go the older ones but later removed them, however i put them back in the coop this week and one of the older hens (BA) was pecking at it like woody woodpecker. I cant seem to find these symptoms anywhere. Pics coming soon.

Last edited:
Here are some pics of the yellow crust

Attachments

• RIR1.jpg
    RIR1.jpg
    497.7 KB · Views: 133
  • RIR1A.jpg
    RIR1A.jpg
    421.1 KB · Views: 133
  • RIR2.jpg
    RIR2.jpg
    482 KB · Views: 130
that looks like dried food.

I thought initially you were talking about the feather shafts on newly growing feathers which are like little straws around the base, then grow out a bit and break off into dandruff flakes.

Where have your hens been poking their heads? Do you feed wet food, has it been raining, have they shoved their heads into a pumpkin to eat the insides? Are they eating their eggs? It looks a bit eggy.

Well that would explain them not laying now.The RIR and BA's are the only ones laying. I would get 3 eggs a day so this eating eggs just started. However there aren't any signs whatsoever of them eating the eggs in the coop. They must obviously eat all of it including the shell....

what do you feed them on? Maybe they haven't got enough protein or calcium in their diet. Take a look at supplementing that for a bit.

Sneaky little egg munchers have been caught!

I feed them 18% organic feed and supplement grit, fruits and veggies. I think I'll throw in a little turkey feed for a bit since its 30% protein. Just an update, I put curtains up day before yesterday and got one egg. We'll see how it goes, if it continues someone will have to leave the flock before it gets any worse.

Back
Top Bottom