Yellow discharge when laying an egg

JayDee87

In the Brooder
May 14, 2022
Hello all,

I have a hen that has been consistently laying an egg daily, but she always has this yellow discharge on the box and on the eggs. She doesn’t act/look sick. She has been doing this for the past week. None of the other hens do it so I am curious what it is. Is this normal? Is she sick?

Attachments

• B0D86E9C-0F32-4EF2-953E-24DBC956DB8D.jpeg
    B0D86E9C-0F32-4EF2-953E-24DBC956DB8D.jpeg
    293.2 KB · Views: 67
  • EFEDB92A-F312-4A16-9313-323F7490EE2E.jpeg
    EFEDB92A-F312-4A16-9313-323F7490EE2E.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Does she have any enlargement or swelling of how lower belly between her legs which could be from ascites (water belly?)
I am a new chicken owner and I am not sure how to tell. I suppose I can check to see if she’s any different from the other hens.

Does she have any enlargement or swelling of how lower belly between her legs which could be from ascites (water belly?)
I just checked her and she doesn’t feel any different from my other hens. It doesn’t feel like she was belly enlargement.

This thread from today shows an extreme case of an enlarged lower belly from an unknown cause:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/vent-gleet-swollen-abdomen.1529083/
Many hens with ascites from a medical issue such as cancer or early reproductive issue, may not be that enlarged. I have done necropsies on some thin hens with ascites. Ascites fluid from liver disease is bright yellow. I’m not sure that is what you are seeing. Does it look anything like egg yolk?

This thread from today shows an extreme case of an enlarged lower belly from an unknown cause:
Many hens with ascites from a medical issue such as cancer or early reproductive issue, may not be that enlarged. I have done necropsies on some thin hens with ascites. Ascites fluid from liver disease is bright yellow. I’m not sure that is what you are seeing. Does it look anything like egg yolk?
It’s very sticky but it’s clear. So I don’t think it’s yolk. And it’s on the darker side. I’ll take a better picture tomorrow. There quite a bit of fluid and it goes all over the other eggs too since they all use the same box.

If she does have ascites, what do I do? Should I cull her?

If she does have ascites, what do I do? Should I cull her?
No, there is no need to cull her unless she is suffering. Some people do use an 18 gauge needle inserted just under the abdominal wall and large syringe to remove ascites fluid to give relief. You would not have to remove much, but it would confirm water belly if you get some yellow fluid. You don’t need to do this unless you are curious. Here is a video of removing fluid:

I am tagging @Wyorp Rock and @casportpony to see if they think this could be ascites fluid leaking. Is she having diarrhea or yellow mucus in her poops?
No diarrhea or yellow mucus in poop. A couple of my chickens had diarrhea a week ago due to change of diet, but she was not one of them. And it’s resolved now. They are pooping normal.

I’m probably not going to do the procedure. I’m not well versed enough in a chicken’s anatomy, I’m afraid of puncturing a vital organ.

I do appreciate all your knowledge. Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom