Yellow dots around vent

speedyfuzzball

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 28, 2013
Long Island, NY
This morning I discovered that one of my chickens has small, yellow dots around her vent

Does anyone know what this is?? She's acting normal, eating and drinking fine. She's the only pullet that hasn't started laying eggs yet, 27.5 weeks old. My chickens are on their third day of corid as I found blood in one of their poops. I've come to the conclusion they do not have coccidiosis since they aren't showing any symptoms but decided to treat them anyway as per this forum. They're getting 1/2 tsp corid in their 1 quart water bottles. Can anyone please tell me what this is and how to treat it?? The worries never end :(

Ok so it was really bothering me that I didn't know what it was and I was scared they could be eggs or something so I tried my best to scrape off all of the yellow dots. It was hard pulling them off and it was red underneath like it was attached to her skin so I put some neosporin on the area after I was done. I don't know if I got all of the yellow off. I just hate not knowing what it is!! Has anyone seen anything like this before??

Sorry that you haven't gotten answers, but I don't know if it is feces or lice eggs. I would look under her vent and all over close to the skin to see if there are more or any live critters. If not, it is probably just stuck on fecal material. If you have any coconut oil, it is supposed to take of lice eggs in feathers, but I would just use whatever I had at home first.

Sometimes hens will drop an egg without a shell. Sometimes an egg can be broken in the nest. The yellow could very well be yolk stuck to the feather follicles. If the hen seems healthy, don't worry about it. Some breeds are prone to feather development too close to the vent. It can get messy down there and you just have to keep an eye on that one as to not let fecal matter gather around it, or get infected. Flies can cause problems in warmer weather on hens with soiled vents. A fungal infection could develop also if left unattended. It isn't pretty.

Some heavily feathered breeds require a light trim around the vent to keep vents from gathering droppings. Good digestion helps keep the stools firm as well, which makes it easier. A consistant, well balanced feed, and vitamins and probiotics to supplement water a few days a week helps.

She isn't laying eggs yet and none were broken this morning.. I check for bugs every other day bc I get paranoid and I haven't seen any yet. I thought it might have been fecal matter but it was hard to pull off and revealed red skin underneath like and feces wouldn't be that hard to remove. Some of the yellow dots were around feathers and others weren't. She seems to be acting perfectly normal but i can't stand not knowing what that is!! When it comes to pets, I'm the type to freak out if something isn't perfect/is out of place lol I'll see if there are more tomorrow and I'm gonna put them on vitamins and probios after their corid. Btw, is it okay to give vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics at the same time??

She isn't laying eggs yet and none were broken this morning.. I check for bugs every other day bc I get paranoid and I haven't seen any yet. I thought it might have been fecal matter but it was hard to pull off and revealed red skin underneath like and feces wouldn't be that hard to remove. Some of the yellow dots were around feathers and others weren't. She seems to be acting perfectly normal but i can't stand not knowing what that is!! When it comes to pets, I'm the type to freak out if something isn't perfect/is out of place lol I'll see if there are more tomorrow and I'm gonna put them on vitamins and probios after their corid. Btw, is it okay to give vitamins/electrolytes and probiotics at the same time??

Yes, I use Avian Super Pack and Probiois dispersible powder together. There are packaged combinations that exist made by other companies but they don't have the vitamin/mineral content of Avian Super Pack. The bird isn't laying you say so it is a pullet less than 5-6 months old? I had to go back and read your post.

1/2 tsp Corid per quart of water is too much whether you are using 9.6% liquid or 20% powder. For prevention, 1tsp of 9.6% per gallon, or 1/2 tsp of 20% powder per gallon is the dosage. I start with that at between two to three weeks of age for 5 days. I do it that way every three weeks until they are at least 7 months old. Many have been known to do it for the first 9 months of life. Do it on one batch of chicks and not the other, and you will see the difference. I doubt that has anything to do with the yellow nodules, but it should be known. They could just be infected feather follicles, and sort of ingrown, like an ingrown hair. They do not appear to be mite/lice eggs according to the pictures you provided. Don't let it bother you if they all seem healthy. Just keep an eye on the hen you pictured. I doubt it is pox. Pox lumps look more like warts: http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/195/fowl-pox

Last edited:
I have those two exact products actually because of you lol I don't know if you remember but you helped me out in may with a chick who had trouble going to the bathroom.

This pullet is almost 28 weeks of age and the only one of my trio that isn't laying eggs yet. She's an australorp and I heard they mature slower?

I am using the 9.6% liquid corid and I am using the treatment dose rather than prevention bc I found a poo with some blood on it on Thursday. No one is acting sick and i never saw another bloody poop (probably intestinal lining?) but members on here told me to treat them for coccidiosis just to be on the safe side. Tomorrow would be day 4 of treatment, should I just half the dose since they aren't acting sick or finish with the full?

Anyway, it's great to hear they're probably not eggs, that grosses me out!! But I will be keeping an eye on her for sure

I have those two exact products actually because of you lol I don't know if you remember but you helped me out in may with a chick who had trouble going to the bathroom.

This pullet is almost 28 weeks of age and the only one of my trio that isn't laying eggs yet. She's an australorp and I heard they mature slower?

I am using the 9.6% liquid corid and I am using the treatment dose rather than prevention bc I found a poo with some blood on it on Thursday. No one is acting sick and i never saw another bloody poop (probably intestinal lining?) but members on here told me to treat them for coccidiosis just to be on the safe side. Tomorrow would be day 4 of treatment, should I just half the dose since they aren't acting sick or finish with the full?

Anyway, it's great to hear they're probably not eggs, that grosses me out!! But I will be keeping an eye on her for sure

Yes, I remember now. Treatment of symptoms with 9.6% @ .5 tsp per quart of water is fine. You had me concerned for a minute there, haha. Australorps do mature slower, so at 28 weeks, she should be getting close to laying that first egg. Hard for me to remember since my couple Australorps are going on 9 years this year. How's that one doing that was having trouble with the swollen vent?

Last edited:
Wow, 9 years, that's amazing!! I hope my girls gets to be that old! Good for them!

The chick with the swollen vent is doing very well, thanks for asking :) she's never had a problem like that again and is laying eggs without any problems. I do get a little worried sometimes bc her eggs seem pretty big for such a small chicken! She's my smallest one and I'm pretty sure they're done growing at this point? I would rather her lay smaller eggs than strain herself even more but I don't think she'd listen if I told her that ;)

Back
Top Bottom