Yellow Eye Discharge & Sneezing

May 21, 2022
Tennessee
So we bought a leghorn rooster today from a local lady. He’s around 5-7mos.
Once I got him home & held him I realized he had some yellow discharge from his eyes.
So he’s definitely being quarantined.
But now I am pretty sure he has a cold as he has sneezed at least once, think twice & one of my children said he looked like he had some liquid from his mouth.

When we go near him, he’s up walking around fine. He’s been eating since we got him.
But he’s definitely sleeping/laying a lot more than I would think a new chicken would be.

Have added some herbs to his food. He has a probiotic in his water. A bit of ACV in his regular water.

Anything else I can do?? Should get to give him?

Get him out of your coop and isolate him far away. Wash your hands, disinfect any waterers and feeders. You don’t want a chronic respiratory disease in your flock. If you medicate him with antibiotics, he still has a disease and can make all of your chickens carriers for life. Take him back and don’t ask for your money back. Buying chickens from other people is how many bring in diseases.

Well as stated he's already in quarantine. We are already washing hands & not cross contaminating things.

But that's quite excessive that you are saying he can't be cured.
How do you know that it's chronic?

I am asking for assistance on how to treat this animal.

Sorry to be blunt, but chickens don’t get colds or mild respiratory infections that are cured. They get mycoplasma (MG) coryza or viral bronchitis. They may improve from symptoms, but remain carriers. With bronchitis, it is from 5-12 months, but with the others, it is for life. It is good that he is quarantined, but even if you give him some Tylosin or Denagard and he gets better, he will remain a carrier. Do you see any swelling of his eyelid or face, or hear any rattly breathing?

Sorry to be blunt, but chickens don’t get colds or mild respiratory infections that are cured. They get mycoplasma (MG) coryza or viral bronchitis. They may improve from symptoms, but remain carriers. With bronchitis, it is from 5-12 months, but with the others, it is for life. It is good that he is quarantined, but even if you give him some Tylosin or Denagard and he gets better, he will remain a carrier. Do you see any swelling of his eyelid or face, or hear any rattly breathing?
Ugh…seriously?

No, his face isn’t swollen. He may have a slight rattle breathing.

I contacted the lady we got him from. See if she will do right. But probably will just cull the poor guy, and sanitize the tractor, and burn the shavings in it.
And sterilize the feeder & water buckets.

Can ducks get this??

Back
Top Bottom