Yellow, Foamy Poop.............

Quote:
If you suspect cecal worms in cecal poop, which can cause blackhead, skip the wazine and use either valbazen or safeguard. Ivermectin/eprinex is ineffective against cecal worms.

Without going back threw tons of threads and posts does safeguard kill as many types of worms as valbazen? I didn't think safeguard kills tapeworms unless is is use double strength at least is horses. (I think it s safeguard that they double dose for tapes in horses)

Thanks

Oh and ps, are the dosages the same when added to water for peafowl and chickens and what about ducks?

Safeguard (fenbendazole) is ineffective against tapes in horses. Horses can be doubled dosed with pyrental pamoate used in conjunction with fenbendazole to kill tapes. I believe this is why horse pastes containing ivermectin and praziquantel are favored over pyrental pamoate and fenbendazole. The horse wormers zimectrin gold, equimax and quest plus are used for tapes in horses.
In chickens, fenbendazole has lost its effectiveness against tapes. It'll kill other worms, it's a good wormer. Wormers with albendazole or praziquantel (droncit for cats and dogs) are effective against tapes. Additionally, albendazole treats eyeworm and flukes...whereas the others dont.
Edited; I'm not sure about peafowl nor ducks, never had any. You can use the BYC search box for more info on them if you wish.

Last edited:
Quote:
Without going back threw tons of threads and posts does safeguard kill as many types of worms as valbazen? I didn't think safeguard kills tapeworms unless is is use double strength at least is horses. (I think it s safeguard that they double dose for tapes in horses)

Thanks

Oh and ps, are the dosages the same when added to water for peafowl and chickens and what about ducks?

Safeguard (fenbendazole) is ineffective against tapes in horses. Horses can be doubled dosed with pyrental pamoate used in conjunction with fenbendazole to kill tapes. I believe this is why horse pastes containing ivermectin and praziquantel are favored over pyrental pamoate and fenbendazole. The horse wormers zimectrin gold, equimax and quest plus are used for tapes in horses.
In chickens, fenbendazole has lost its effectiveness against tapes. It'll kill other worms, it's a good wormer. Wormers with albendazole or praziquantel (droncit for cats and dogs) are effective against tapes. Additionally, albendazole treats eyeworm and flukes...whereas the others dont.
Edited; I'm not sure about peafowl nor ducks, never had any. You can use the BYC search box for more info on them if you wish.

Thanks dawg!!! I should have known that. I keep forgetting that safeguard is a brand name. I had a brain attach I guess. I just ordered Valbazen for my peafowl and chickens. I guess I was hoping there was something cheaper though !!!

My main concern is the cecal worms right now. I want to help prevent blackhead in the peafowl and want to deworm everybody for the cecal worm.

Thanks !! You are something else you know !!!
bow.gif

My birds have yellow foamy poop as well I've treated with invermectin but it hasn't helped?

Foamy, yellow poop is often the sign of a protozoa like coccidiosis or histomoniasis (blackhead). The treatment for coccidiosis I use is Corid or Baycox and for histomoniasis I use metronidazole *and* fenbendazole (Safeguard liquid or paste).

Ivermectin won't treat either.

-Kathy

If you have more that one chicken with foamy, yellow poop, I would suspect coccidiosis. The drug that most Canadians use is Amprol.

-Kathy

Back
Top Bottom