Yellow Golden?

mommakim

Hatching
5 Years
Jan 8, 2015
I just joined here in hope of gleaning some more information. A bird showed up in our yard yesterday and hasn't left. Through the powers of Google, I identified it as a male yellow golden pheasant. I've checked with the neighbors and nobody recognizes him. He's taken up residence in our old dog run. It's approximately 9'x15'. It's chainlink with no door, a wooden fence runs parallel to one long side and the back is lined with blackberry bushes. There is no cover.

We're looking for his rightful home, but want to keep him safe and happy in the mean time. He seems to be pecking something out of the weeds on the ground to eat. Should we provide him something else? What about habitat? Since we don't intend to keep him, I can't go about building him a full aviary, but should I put a large box or something in for him to go into? Is there anything else I should do for him in the mean time?

Thanks for your help!

Just give him a place to roost out of the drafts in a covered pen and he will be fine.Throw an xmas tree in there so he has a hiding place(make sure there is no tinsel on it).
In N.H.,Tony.

Since the back and side of the run are mostly covered, would a bit of a lean-to in the corner suffice? I've got a few 2"x12" pieces leftover from a project (about 4' long each).

Also, the doorway of the run is open. Should I close it and attempt to keep him in or leave it open?

I don't think he will use the lean to but you can leave it and he has the option.The 2x12 is for a roost?That will work.
What state are you in?I can check my directory and see if their is someone near you that may have lost him.
In N.H.,Tony..

I'm in WA. Thank you. I appreciate your help. I'd like to keep him safe as I'd hope someone else would if our pet was lost

. Here's our little friend.

This shows most of the run he's hanging out in.

I would close it so no predator walks up and grabs him.Theres Kathy Fries in Kirkland,Ed Benhardt in Reardon,Wayne Hensley in Aberden.That's all that list goldens in Wa,I'm sure there is more but they did not fill out what they raise.I'm sure they'll let you know who may have lost one if it's not any of theirs.
In N.H.,Tony.

Another question, if his home is not found, a friend with chickens has offered to adopt him. I thought I read somewhere that pheasants and chickens should not live together, but wanted to confirm this is correct.

Back
Top Bottom