Yellow/green diarrhea

I have not really found a way to treat reproductive issues like EYP, Cancer, Internal Laying, etc.
Hens can live with these conditions for a long time or sometimes they can decline rapidly. Basically, you just feed them well, stay on top of parasites, etc. and see how it goes.
Here's my recent update. I haven't gotten a fecal done on her yet because the local vets want an exam which is $100+ I'm not willing to spend yet.

She's brighter and seems like she's having a mix between semi-firm and loose poop. Still a greenish color but more white now. This feels like positive progress. Recently I switched from Nutrena hearty hen to Poulin Egg Production plus grain. All chickens are doing well on it and love it. I transitioned the grain over a few weeks. Now it seems like maybe she's boycotting it this whole time. The amount of grain stays the same every day but she will eagerly eat grass, blueberries, lettuce and peas today. She's been free ranging all day and I've seen her eating bugs and worms.

What do I do about the grain boycotting? I'm not willing to switch back to Nutrena.

Recently I switched from Nutrena hearty hen to Poulin Egg Production plus grain. All chickens are doing well on it and love it. I transitioned the grain over a few weeks. Now it seems like maybe she's boycotting it this whole time. The amount of grain stays the same every day but she will eagerly eat grass, blueberries, lettuce and peas today.

She may be more interested in foraging or just doesn't like the taste of the soy free crumbles. Hard to know.
If she's improving, hopefully she'll come around and eat the feed since the others seem to like it. Some hens are a bit more picky than others. You can try cutting back on the extra goodies to see if she'll be more interested in eating the food, she may be holding out for lettuce/peas, etc.

Bag0011_T.png

"Poulin Grain" is the name of the product. https://www.poulingrain.com/products/200/egg-production-plus
With grain, they tend to pick out what they want ... Greenish poop could be from the greens she's eating or in some cases malnutrition. Take a picture of her poop ...

She may be more interested in foraging or just doesn't like the taste of the soy free crumbles. Hard to know.
If she's improving, hopefully she'll come around and eat the feed since the others seem to like it. Some hens are a bit more picky than others. You can try cutting back on the extra goodies to see if she'll be more interested in eating the food, she may be holding out for lettuce/peas, etc.

Bag0011_T.png

"Poulin Grain" is the name of the product. https://www.poulingrain.com/products/200/egg-production-plus
Thanks for the feedback. I should note that her previous grain, Nutrena Hearty Hen, is also soy free. I don't think she's holding off for treats. Before yesterday she was not eating at all. Yesterday since she seemed a little brighter and finally ate other things and free ranged. I think if she was holding off she would have eaten the other options I had offered over the last week. Today she is just as bright but will not eat the grain. This afternoon I'll offer other things again.

Ill keep giving her more time to come around but it seems like my options for a hen refusing grain are to 1) continue giving special treatment or 2) find her a new home or 3) cull her. Is there anything else that would cause her to refuse grain? I don't want to cull her, and I also don't have the set up to continue letting her free range (I live on a busy road) or buy her special treats. Is finding her a new home a sound option if she seems healthy otherwise? The other hens continue to do well on this grain and it's more affordable for me at $20 for 50lbs than the previous grain at $25 for 40lbs. Poulin is a good reputable local brand, I know a lot of people personally who use it for all sorts of animals but especially poultry and they have excellent results. I've used it for my commercial sheep flock successfully for several years. My partner used their broiler feed and produced well growing healthy birds. Thanks 😃

Back
Top Bottom