Yellow lab puppy-food questions

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by patandchickens, Aug 17, 2010.

1. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    So last week we got this 5-or-6-months old yellow lab puppy (from a shelter) named Russell. Whose housebreaking is btw going very well, we just have to remember to take him out to 'drain' him at regular intervals and not get him excited when greeting him after any absence.

He "came" with a bag of Science Diet from the shelter, but I would rather find something a bit less dependant on chemistry lab and grain fillers and oddly-processed byproducts, partly on principle and partly because he is rather itchy despite virtually no fleas. I am finding the whole dogfood comparison-shopping thing overwhelming and traumatic LOL and could use some advice. Yes, I do realize I will get fifty *different* kinds of advice [​IMG] but usually it helps me sort things out in my own head to come to a decision, so all suggestions ARE appreciated [​IMG]

Currently he is eating Fromm Family Gold Large-Breed Puppy (analysis and ingredients info at http://www.frommfamily.com/products-g-d-largepuppy.php ). This was chosen because after ten minutes of the nice man at the dogfood store talking and talking and talking, I really had to go find a bathroom so I bought the least-implausible product that came in a non-jumbo sized package, just to get out of there quickly LOL. It is not cheap but OTOH the amount you are supposed to feed is like half of what you're supposed to feed of Science Diet etc so while I have not actually worked out the daily cost I suspect it is not hugely different.

My concerns are: 1) from horse experience I am inclined to tentatively buy into the theory that large-breed dogs with potential orthopedic problems should not be encouraged to grow too fast and should not get too much protein or calcium. 2) I would prefer something without lotsa products that come from a chemistry lab or wheat/corn/soy or weird reprocessing of basically garbage. 3) Obviously I want something that is generally overall good for him.

So my question is sort of two things:

--- does that Fromm Family thing I'm feeding now seem reasonable?

--- what would YOU be feeding a 5-6 mo yellow lab if he were yours?

Thanks in advance,

Pat

Last edited: Aug 17, 2010
  2. Catstar68

Catstar68 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2009
    Franklinton, NC
    You might consider a food formulated for larger breeds. Too rapid a growth rate can cause orthopaedic issues occasionally.
    I have used Iams large breed puppy before for my lab (RIP Bauer) and he did well on it. There are better foods these days so check out the offerings at PetSmart or look online.

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Pat, my younger GSD can't have grains and our older one is a picky eater and has itchy skin.
    The only food we have found that they both do well on is Taste of the Wild in the Pacific Salmon formula. Tried the other meat formulas available from TOTW and the Pacific Salmon one is the only one Jax likes.
    It's expensive, but it's worth it to me that Kane has no more digestive upsets and Jax actually eats, and his itchy skin is gone.

4. Crazyland

Crazyland Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 14, 2009
    Sandhills NC
    Fromm is a good quality food. [​IMG]
    I know some GSD owners who use it and are extremely pleased with the results.
    If Russel is doing well on it then keep him on it.

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Thanks guys! Any other opinions out there? I can't believe that there are only 3 people who have opinions about dogfood LOL...

Pat

6. cubalaya

cubalaya Overrun With Chickens

Nov 19, 2008
    central virginia
    blue buffalo large breed puppy food

7. MomtoSyd&Emma

MomtoSyd&Emma Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Southern VA
    We were feeding the Tractor Supply "brand" 4Health, our dogs did great on it. They have a large breed formula

8. rcentner

rcentner Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2009
    Le Roy, NY
    whatever you buy...make sure it is part of the AAFCO...they ensure that the food has the proper vitamins and minerals that make it a complete diet. Bags usually indicate that. As far as the itching and scratching..dogs can be allergic to the same thing we are. In my area there are lots of seasonal allergies (pets and humans) right now. Your dog could have an allergy to pollen, grasses, trees or food. If you think your dog has a food allergy try to get different proteins like duck, rabbit or venison. Those meats are less likely than chicken/beef to cause allergies. Good luck on the "no garbage, no preservative n junk" that sounds expensive to me. Hills (science diet) is a good manufacterer along with Iams and Purina IMHO

9. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:Our Lab loves the Taste of the Wild Wetland formula . Our local TSC carries it. She gets itchy when the food contains lots of grains (corn, rice, etc) or lamb.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    We feed Taste of the Wild, too. Our dogs and our cats have done great on it. Our dogs like all the flavors.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by