Yellow/mucus from roosters Cloaca/rear end

Wilrausure

Chirping
Sep 20, 2019
Inherited Rooster with supposedly just bumble foot. His appetite was great when he first came.. acted like it was his last meal. Then after few days he became less interested in his food and developed this yellow mucus constant discharge from his Cloaca/rear end. The feed given him was at first was higher in protein and crumble mixed with water to make it easier for him. Then switched back to the pellets I know he had gotten before. Thank you

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So he was limping when you got him and had a ravenous appetite?

Any sign of swelling, heat, redness, or broken skin that could be causing it? What is his age? Are you able to post a pic of video using youtube and then upload here?

What are the pellets he gets now? Did he have access to grit? Since he became less interested in feed, have you checked the feel of his crop after he hasn't eaten through the night to see if it's emptying normally before offering food again? Is he still drinking? :fl

Hi there, welcome to BYC! :frow

So he was limping when you got him and had a ravenous appetite?

Any sign of swelling, heat, redness, or broken skin that could be causing it? What is his age? Are you able to post a pic of video using youtube and then upload here?

What are the pellets he gets now? Did he have access to grit? Since he became less interested in feed, have you checked the feel of his crop after he hasn't eaten through the night to see if it's emptying normally before offering food again? Is he still drinking? :fl
I have no idea age.. I cannot post a pic at this time.. Layer pellets though since yesterday making pellets into a mash has improved his discharge to less yellow and more fecal. Yes, only limping on foot.. not skin breaks.. raised in a very rocky area looks bruised. I also did not find any other breaks in his skin when I checked him over but had to be quick since handling can upset and even lead to their death when in a new space with new person. Crop is clear before feeding and only offer him little bits at a time so I can monitor him. Weight appears normal. Offered clean water at all times and good fluid intake. As of today I have added in a couple tablespoons of plain yogurt active and live culture mixed with puree pumpkin. Great questions TY

Roosters don't get laying feed, the calcium in it can give them liver problems
Thank you for feedback. Have had never had any issues but will research it. Average life span of my Roosters have been 8 years unless predator has gotten them first. Might be because their food options consist of fresh bugs,/grass/fruit and/or freshly sprouted barley/sun flower seeds or flock block w/layer.

I have no idea age..
Keep an eye on the limping as it can be the first symptom of Marek's in young birds... and the ravenous appetite would second it. DO you know his breed? How big are his spurs?

Yellow discharge would indicate something like possible live issues to me... But I am NO expert. I would also look into vent gleet and see if that fits at all for him.

Actually the excess calcium in layer is *most* likely to cause KIDNEY issues including gout and even failure if fed long term to non laying birds that are also genetically predisposed some how. Yes, the free ranging and other stuff also impacts this. 8 years is a fairly good life span.

Pumpkin Puree... can have either a stopping effect or a laxative effect, so just make sure it's a small amount.. which I'm sure you probably already did.

Any guess on age... younger cockerel or older rooster?

Keep an eye on the limping as it can be the first symptom of Marek's in young birds... and the ravenous appetite would second it. DO you know his breed? How big are his spurs?

Yellow discharge would indicate something like possible live issues to me... But I am NO expert. I would also look into vent gleet and see if that fits at all for him.

Actually the excess calcium in layer is *most* likely to cause KIDNEY issues including gout and even failure if fed long term to non laying birds that are also genetically predisposed some how. Yes, the free ranging and other stuff also impacts this. 8 years is a fairly good life span.

Pumpkin Puree... can have either a stopping effect or a laxative effect, so just make sure it's a small amount.. which I'm sure you probably already did.

Thank you for your feedback. He looks to be a The Rhode Island Red. He has improved greatly since yesterday. The yogurt and pumpkin in small amounts is added to the mashed food he is getting. Great info from the site. Encourage for now. He is an older rooster.. not a YoungN.. No signs of Marek's so far but by himself just for that reason. His eating might be due to competing for food when with over 1k birds and other roosters. I see a lot of that in birds who come from big flocks they eventually adjust once they settle in. He was eating well until the yellow mucus happened them he stop eating hardly anything. Seems Calcium issues with liver shows up in very young roosters not so much in older. My rooster average life span is 8 years.. that is why chick feed is so important with them when they are little ones cause that is when it causes the liver damage. Roosters do not need high protein either. Layer is supplement for hens and the rest they forage or given different things at different times of the year depending on season. Roosters seem to forage a lot showing off their skills for the ladies. I do not have a big bill on layer pellets for this reason. I did research the links offered on Gleam and looked up different foods which can be soothing.. Pumpkin is one of them. good since I keep it on hand for the birds not well but need the vits

Thank you for your feedback. He looks to be a The Rhode Island Red. He has improved greatly since yesterday. The yogurt and pumpkin in small amounts is added to the mashed food he is getting. Great info from the site. Encourage for now. He is an older rooster.. not a YoungN.. No signs of Marek's so far but by himself just for that reason. His eating might be due to competing for food when with over 1k birds and other roosters. I see a lot of that in birds who come from big flocks they eventually adjust once they settle in. He was eating well until the yellow mucus happened them he stop eating hardly anything. Seems Calcium issues with liver shows up in very young roosters not so much in older. My rooster average life span is 8 years.. that is why chick feed is so important with them when they are little ones cause that is when it causes the liver damage. Roosters do not need high protein either. Layer is supplement for hens and the rest they forage or given different things at different times of the year depending on season. Roosters seem to forage a lot showing off their skills for the ladies. I do not have a big bill on layer pellets for this reason. I did research the links offered on Gleet and looked up different foods which can be soothing.. Pumpkin is one of them. I keep pumpkin on hand for my dogs and chickens who might need extra care with their tummies.

Inherited Rooster with supposedly just bumble foot. His appetite was great when he first came.. acted like it was his last meal. Then after few days he became less interested in his food and developed this yellow mucus constant discharge from his Cloaca/rear end. The feed given him was at first was higher in protein and crumble mixed with water to make it easier for him. Then switched back to the pellets I know he had gotten before. Thank you

I Wanted to update my post but I do no see where I can edit it. **UPDATE** Rooster is doing great!! Yellow discharge gone. Appetite back and looking at the ladies in the other enclosure lol. Thank you for all the supported feedback. I have learned lots. :)

At the bottom left on your post you will see three lines. Tap that and you will see the Edit option.

Welcome to the BYC community! Glad your roo is improving! :frow

Back
Top Bottom